• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Shrimp boats 1/48

Started by Chris, March 10, 2011, 08:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Hi there
so here's the construction of two shrimp boats for my project in 1/48

I start from a personnal drawing that I made during a trip in Flotrida West coast and from some experiences in HO :-\
In fact it's only two waterline hull

Welcome to Wherever You Are!

darrylhuffman

Great photos.

Working waterfronts and crowded fishing boats has always been on of my favorite parts of the hobby.

My vacations always take me to waterfront areas as opposed to deserts or mountains.

In 1966, I spent a year in Biloxi Mississippi which is right in the middle of the shrimp fishing industry in the Gulf of Mexico.

But I was poor and did not have a car so I could not take advantage of the situation and go exploring.

There is a couple of books by "Harold "Dynamite" Payson" on building boats using your methods.  Boat Modeling the Easy Way is one of them.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Mr Potato Head

What's the deal with the deck! is that somthing you buy? or did you laminate all that up? becasue its very cool! it really makes the model, great job
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chris

That's interesting Darryl ;)
I really would like to see that in 1966 but I was born in 71 to young :-\
I have some pics found on NOAA and some online library during the seventies & eighties period in shrimp industry
also I went to Apalachicola and Fort Myers taking pictures for this project, in fact I want to build a small harbor in 48
I start with some HO trawlers since the film with Tom Hanks appears in France. I can not explain why I love this kind of trawlers but I found they have a lot of characters
with regard to the models we have in Boulogne or Concarneau (french's fishing harbors)

The model is stratchbuilt length: 8'' (20 cm) witdth: 2.5'' (6 cm) winch, exhaust, and other parts are handmade
Sailors came from Preiser ref: 10353 "Ships Crewmen" The trawl was made with a fishtnet stocking (thanks my love  :-*  )

Chris

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on March 10, 2011, 10:19:54 AM
What's the deal with the deck! is that somthing you buy? or did you laminate all that up? becasue its very cool! it really makes the model, great job
Gil

Gil this kind of deck was made by Northeastern in mahogany
http://northeasternscalelumber.com/osc/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_95&osCsid=8386bcf0d9b4ce512f649b6329c17356

JESTER

finescalerr

Mobilgas

Craig

Mr Potato Head

Cool thanks for that link! Now evin I could build one, or howa bout a Chris-craft ?????? yea that's it!
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chris

Junior

DonĀ“t know much about boats  ??? but to me this looks superb. Outstanding work as usual! How about some pictures from your layout?  ???

Anders ;D

chester

Superb Chris. It certainly appears that your vessels are as thoughtfully well done as your machinery. The rigging has always kept me from attempting a trawler in full regalia. Don't know if this helps. I also have some photos of otter boards used on shrimping trawlers here on the coast of Maine.

Chris

Thanks Chester I've got this pic and help me so much
the system is basically the same for shrimp boat
but I will posts pics of the construction of masts
I've made it in brass with light (projector & navigation lights)

Anders In the future I'll make e thread on our layout because in fact it's a group of 4 persons located near Paris
but since a few weeks we lose the place so it's coming to my place now it's an O scale layout build for switching  13 meters long in standard gauge !

Chris

A nice pic...

finescalerr

As the models take shape they become even more satisfactory. -- Russ