• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hot Rod Wrecker Project

Started by PuckHog, May 08, 2011, 11:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuckHog

Hello folks, 

Thank you all,  not really crazy ;D ;D ;D

Ken,  this build is on the 'Modelcarmag Forum' , Have not built a car model since the late 60's so not current on the different web forums for cars.  I found that one from Dr. Cranky.  Feel free to post on others.

Paul and John,  I was really into cars in the early 70's, built and raced some real clunkers at a small unsactioned dirt track.  Kinda getting an itch to get back into the 1:1 stuff so started lurking on sites like Killbillet and H.A.M.B.  where I found some build threads that are the reference for this.  Now if I can only get approval for another hobby :) :)

Ray,  The block and tranny are kit plastic from a Revell Dodge Charger. Pretty nice casting.

Working on the floor and firewall....

More details for the clutch and tranny...

Raided the 1/35th armor scrap pe box for some thread plate and trim....

Making up a 'bomber style ' bench seat.....

Working now on the cab....

That is all I got for now,  thank you for looking in!

Randy

Ray Dunakin

You're metal work is really impressive! The large sheet metal parts are so smooth and correctly shaped, without a lot of dents or unwanted bends.

The whole thing is amazing, I have to keep reminding myself it's only 1/25th scale. It looks much larger than that.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

It's no doubt too late but a model like that should be plated or blackened to a sheen, not painted. -- Russ

Carlo

Just two small, simple questions...

What is the non-brass metal used on floorboards, etc.? Aluminum? Steel? Tin?
How do you get that intricate brass (and other) metal work so clean and shiny after soldering and filing?

Carlo

PuckHog

Thank you Ray !

Russ, That is an interesting idea for a finish, never thought of that :)

Hi Carlo,  It is tin,   K & S Enginerring .008 tin sheet.     I use polishing sticks from the ladies finger nail finishing section.  I think they are maybe  1000 to 2000 grit?

Randy

lab-dad

After doing this in 1:1 for over 30 years I cant find anything wrong with your model!
Looks to me the fabrications follows the real thing, only give away is those GIANT fingers!
Thanks for posting, wonderful model!
-Marty

chester

This is very special, I really appreciate the level of craftsmanship going into this and that you are sharing it with us. Thanks.

Ken Hamilton

This just gets better and better.
As Chester said, the level of craftsmanship is remarkable. 

This might come out wrong, but it's great to see such a high level
of detail and workmanship being put into such a Ratty car.
I can't wait to see the next installment.......
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Junior

Incredible craftmanship....speachless  :o!

Anders  ;D

marc_reusser

I can only agree with Anders.  I am really floored by the level and quality of detail and the craftsmanship required to achieve it.

QuoteHave not built a car model since the late 60's

...umm so what have you been building since then to keep your skills so sharp?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

PuckHog

Thanks Marty,  Appreciate that from a real car builder ( hot rods?)

Chester,  Thank you  :)

Hi Ken,  Thanks for the comments!

Anders, Thank you , now I just need a garage ;D ;D

Marc,  Thank you,  have built a little of evertthing but mostly trains.  Learned to solder trying to work with early HOn3 brass locos.

Small update.....

Working on making up some doors...

Mock up time...

Making the inner door skin.....

Will be able to trap the window glass between the two parts..

Some trim added and stuck some plastic hardware on to see what it would look like...

That is all for now,  thank you for looking in!

Randy

Malachi Constant

I think it's time to use the old exploding head pictorial response again!  -- Dallas

(VERY inspiring work ... but maybe a little too much weathering on the fingers.)  ;D
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Yeah, that scratch-built door is definitely making my head go "boom". Awesome work, even more so considering it's brass.

What are the small holes for near the interior handles?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

chester

Not quite exploding yet but a lot of rumbling inside. Gorgeous work Randy. I really like the idea that the glass is going where it's supposed to and not just slapped on the inside of the door.

JESTER

Wow! Great work! That's an awesome wrecker to copy!!

-