• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Scale Nuts, bolts, washers, rivets etc

Started by narrowgauger, August 27, 2011, 07:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

narrowgauger

Hi Guys

there has been quite a lot of communication lately on the subject of dummy scale rivets, bolts etc.  Much of the reference is made to Grandt Line and others in terms of availability. 

it is my experience that the Grandt NBW's are suffering from mould decay and are becoming quite rough as well as being very limited in range.  A search for a better alternative has thrown up (yes another fall back to 1:35 armour modelling) an excellent Russian range of resin scale material.

the MasterClub range includes a superb range of rivets, bolts, special bolts and related items all with crisp, clean detail.  Whilst these are initially designed for armour they have unlimited application to rail models in scale from 1:48 upwards.

MasterClub may be diffcult to source in the US.  However there is a reliable & trustworthy Hong Kong based supplier in HobbyEasy.  they stock the full range at excellent prices, with free shipping.

to see the wide range of MasterClub products go to www.hobbyeasy.com  enter MasterClub in the Manufacturers column and select upgrade & detail sets in the Product drop down.

I have no association with HobbyEasy, except that they have supplied me for many years with great service.

Hope this is of value to our members.

have fun & stay cool
Bernard

finescalerr

Thanks, Bernard. You are absolutely right about Grandt and we do need one or more replacement suppliers.

Similarly, Grandt's doors and windows no longer fill the bill and somebody like Dave Krakow needs to create more accurate replacements along with new items. (I think I was supposed to draw some and conveniently forgot.)

We are at a point where it now is up to such hobbyists as ourselves to use computers and technology to create higher quality parts than previously have been available.

Russ

DaKra

I just added .25mm thin washer sets to my catalog.  4 different sizes from 1.45 mm to 2.3mm.    On my older nuts bolts washers sets, the parts are all same diameter and .0145" thickness so they look fine individually, but couldn't really be combined to make a typical NBW as on wooden structures.  The washers solve that issue.

My laser cut nuts and bolts aren't intended to replace the excellent plastic and resin and brass items on the market, but to add to the variety and I'm glad to say many have found them useful.  Since they are cardstock, glue and paint adheres very well. 

Here are the new thin washers.

And in combination with the hex bolts in thicker material.   

HTH

Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

finescalerr

They look terrific but would seem to be a major pain to apply. I'd use them anyway. Are you the only one out there working on such high quality components? -- Russ

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

lab-dad

Russ,
You should try taping holes and assembling .5 mm nuts, washers & bolts!
Dave does great work too!!!
-Marty