• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Burden of Sorrow - Finished w/recap pics

Started by ricklawler, March 10, 2012, 06:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricklawler

Hello Gentlemen,

As you might recall I have been working on a project and posting my progress here on the forum.  Unfortunately, for some reason the photo links on the original thread have been broken.  So, with your permission, rather than recreate the original post I would like to offer this short recap of the work and then the final pictures.

The genesis of this idea took hold while visiting the United States Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C.  This was my second visit to the museum, but the first time that I had taken advantage of the full tour.  My tour began by being personally shown some of the museum artifacts by a Holocaust Survivor, his narrative intertwined with the descriptions of the museum pieces.  His Story  Their Story; had a profound impact on me.

The thought to attempt this theme kept bouncing around my head, but I just could not quite visualize what the scene might be.  But then, coincidentally, at about this same time Libor and LZ Models released the excellent German G-10 Railcar. I was set.  This is an amazing kit - highly detailed.  Absolutely stunning.

A few photos of the rail car construction.  As you can see the underside of the car is a myriad of detail....

An shot of the top side of the car...I covered the roof with Bare Metal Foil to simulate the tar paper texture...

Painting and weathering.......

In order to convey this story I would need to pull out all of the stops when it came to the focal point  the prisoner figure.  I built the small hand cart, but there was no doubt in my mind that I would need a custom figure, one specifically sculpted for this scene.   For the figure I turned to a talented sculptor friend who was able to provide me with the ideal figure. However, the story of the figure doesn't top there.  As this project began to unfold I posted my work on some of the modeling forums.  My good friend and excellent modeler Markus Lack saw these posts and sent me an email asking me about the project.  The project was still in the early stages, but Markus had guessed the theme and sent me an email expressing his thoughts and asked if he could become involved.  Markus (who is German) explained that in Germany it is still difficult to talk openly about such events that took place during World War II.   Certainly the Holocaust is difficult subject to discuss, let alone represent in scale in any country, but particularly in Germany.  It was an easy decision on my part to ask Markus to paint the lone figure.

Some of Markus's figure work.  Not only did he paint, but Markus spent a great deal of time refining and detailing the original piece.

The idea for the piece is that this poor soul is charged with clearing the clothing and luggage left behind by those arriving at the camp.  The cart was built using plastic strip, the clothing is made from 2 part putty.  Here is a working shot from earlier in construction.

The base is constructed from a plastic form with plaster for texture.  The electrified fence posts were created from plastic and then cast.  The insulators were made from small glass beads, while the fencing is made from plastic mesh cut close to create small barbs.

Final Photographs...

Thank you for taking the time to look.

Rick

PS....Russ, please feel free to delete the original thread.  I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Carlo

Absolutely Stunning!
What is the scale, please?
Carlo

ricklawler

Hello Carlo,

The scale is 1/35th.

Thank you for looking and for your comment.

Rick

Ray Dunakin

Excellent work. You've taken on a difficult subject and rendered it skillfully and with feeling.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

That is a model with real impact. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Beautifully executed in so many ways. Thanks for reposting the images and some of the explanation/SBS.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Junior

Dark and dramatic and very well executed.

Anders

jacq01

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Just saw this and showed my wife.  We are both very moved by this scene.  Wonderful job.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

ricklawler

Thank you very much.  I really do appreciate your responses.

Rick

Wesleybeks

Fantatsic work Rick

The whole scene`s mood is a very sad one and portrays perfectly what those poor people had to go through.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

JESTER

Wow! This is really nice! I'm not a fan of graphics as a BG but you pulled it off nicely.

W.P. Rayner

Evocative and tasteful treatment Rick of a difficult subject. It would have been so easy to overstate the emotion in the scene in a heavy-handed manner. Well done on all levels.

Paul

jim s-w

This is really nice

I have a urge to visit auschwitz it's not so much that I want to go but I feel I should.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright