• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Derelict Truck in 1/35

Started by Gordon Ferguson, November 20, 2012, 03:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

This build was originally planned to represent a Ford AA truck in the "dustbowl" era .
I started of with a Zvezda Gaz AA which I was going convert back to its origonal guise, these kits are a bit basic so tried to improve the chassis and  started semi-scratch building a new engine.

It was at this stage I came across the MiniArt Gaz AA

Although this pic is the AAA the AA is just as good and you can probably understand why I saw little point in continuing with my conversion !

However, did in the end decide to continue with the build, just as a generic derelict truck to allow me to practice some different and new (to me) techniques.

I cut out the roof so that i could try out a torn canvas roof, and ground away plastic for rust holes ....... got a bit carried away with this , fewer and smaller for the future !

The painting was mainly using the hairspray/chipping techniques and pigments, and finally I can say I have finished something .... been a while  ::)

The stone wall was built using the technique I have posted here before and the grass is dyed artificial fur( supplied by Treemendous) with a lot of trimming and colouring done by airbrush.
Gordon

billmart

Verrrry nice, Gordon.  Now aren't you glad you went ahead and finished it? ;D

Bill Martinsen

Hauk

Nice!
Would love to hear more about how you made the grass.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

shropshire lad

Nice one , Gordon . Though there are a few things that could be done to really finish it off . But I won't mention them as it will only upset you !

Nice oil drums , by the way ,

Nick

LesTindall

I agree that oil drum looks so fragile, eaten away by the rust - superb! 
is it a standard kit drum "dremelled" out to thin the side?

Les

Chuck Doan

I'm glad you kept at it. What did you use for the canvas material? The grass looks very good too. Nicely nestled.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks for the positive responses .

Hauk

will post some pictures of the grass process in a couple of days , need to do a very small base with some more grass so will take some pics as I go along.

Nick

thought you would pick that up, seriously thought about having the "drum" as the centre piece and just having the truck as background ;)

Les

you have probably guessed the drum was purchased off Nick when he was collecting for his new Ipad, they are resin castings which look as if the resin has just been sloshed around the mould so that it does not cover it .... very fragile but effective .

Chuck

Canvas roof made from a paper hanky, these are normally 3 ply, just carefully separated it and used one ply stuck around the edges of the roof with some PVA and when dry the centre section was ,carefully flooded with dilute PVA glue ... when dry tears/holes were done.
Thanks for "nestled"  that was the look I spent a lot of time trying to achieve   
Gordon

Barney

Very Nice -like the dipstick its these little touches that make it - and its "finished"
Barney

finescalerr

shropshire lad

TRAINS1941

Very nice.  Great grass.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Nice. I like the combined oily-grimy-rusted look of the engine.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

5thwheel

Really a great job but I have to be the fly in the milk bucket. The tires really caught my eye right off the bat.  They are really too nice, shouldn't they be flat or almost rotten?

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Sailor

Very nice, I really like it!

Pellle
Pelle

marc_reusser

This dio is really making the rounds on Facebook today. Treemendous posted two pics, and now it's all over the place.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works