• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Aveling Barford Road Roller ....... 1/24 scale

Started by Gordon Ferguson, February 12, 2014, 10:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Back on my road roller kick, started this one couple of years ago....... Mind you all I actually did was build a master for one the rear wheels and one half of the front roller. So in response to my unspoken vow to complete a few of my unfinished builds I dug the bits out Jan 1st and got stuck in.

No plan, but some basic measurements are available along with a number of photos and manufacturer's leaflets

The manufacturer's leaflets have some good detail of specific parts of the roller and it's accessories

As I hoped to share some of the bits with fellow modellers who also fancied building a version of this I made masters of the wheels, bonnet (hood) and the front nose piece so I could cast copies of these in resin ....... Turned out that while I could cast the the central core of the rear wheels in resin, with my equipment  it did not prove possible to cast the outer rims , so these had to made up with 10 thou plastic card strips. Subsequently I decided to amend the rear wheels so that they had a concave inner surface ..... This was done in the same way as my last roller , a push mould heated plastic and then the plastic cut and trimmed to fit inside the rear wheel rims

So this is the completed build ...... In the raw as they say

As the drivers compartment is some what narrow, decided to build and paint the required bits  separately and add them in place at the end.

This is where I had got to a week or so ago, the models has now gone thro the stages of primer and initial undercoats so hopefully you should see the next stages of paint in a couple of days
Gordon

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that looks great! I like that prototype, it has a very interesting look to it.

...and now, thanks to Google, I know that a "scarifier" is not a device used by ghosts to haunt houses.   :)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Hi Gordon, yes I build mainly in brass, and be amazed just what you can manage so plastic.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

NORCALLOGGER

Looking very good Gordon.
How did you manage the compound curves on the nose piece?
Rick

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Scratchman

Gordon, very nice work. Looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

marc_reusser

Like a bad Penny. ;D ;D :P

Quote from: Chuck Doan on February 12, 2014, 06:32:44 PM
Nice! Wow, paint on the way.

You should know by now.....Don't hold your breath. ;D ;D :P
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Oh very funny , haha  :D

Helmut, I thought I had moved into the big league with this model and my "strip of brass"

Ray, "nose" is just flat plastic, some tube and a series of applications of Milliput smoothed with water and some careful sanding
Gordon

Barney

Brass -Resin - curved plastic this is going into "high tec" I feel I'm left in a dark era - and it looks like it could be finished - Lovely work here Gordon and there is not even a "but" in there - just keep it coming
Barney 

Gordon Ferguson

Thank you young Barney, don't forget the laser cut parts from VectorCut.

Found two useful things this morning , excluding my name tag & my glasses ......... A picture of the roller in wartime service and a tin of Humbrol Olive Drab ...... That will shut the non-believers up!
Gordon

marc_reusser

Do you even know how to use Humbrol paint? :P ...besides, it's probably so antique, that it has dried solid in the tin. :P
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

JohnTolcher

That's some scratchbuilding skill! Don't pay them no mind, I hear's that old humbrol formula was better..
Cheers
John in Australia

Gordon Ferguson

Hopefully stop me getting nagged for a couple of days ;D

Primer, followed by various rust tones and then some pre- shading , which I hope will help breakup and add some interest to what are a lot of large flat surfaces. All paint was Tamiya, sorry Barney, thinned with their lacquer thinner.

I then gave it a couple of thin coats of Dullcote to seal ,this has been drying/ hardening off for a couple of days now so plan is to apply some chipping fluid and the start of the top coats tomorrow.

Gordon

Mobilgas

Waiting to see how the paint and weathering turns out  ;D
Craig