• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New York Street Scene

Started by Joel Freedman, November 22, 2014, 05:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Looking good! Is that clock frame laser-cut?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Joel Freedman

It's actually a giant HO scale brass etching from scaleLink. I used it as a small wall clock and I think it's quite effective. Still need to work on a sign.

Bill Gill

Joel, No illusions there, just real nice modeling!

Joel Freedman

Thanks so much Bill. I started working on the details for the grocery store. I'm very happy with the apples. I made up a new technique which I'm sure art students all know about and there is probably some fancy french name. To paint the fruit I used 2 colours on the brush at the same time (green and yellow) and so each fruit is a different shade of the same colour and there is variation even on the same fruit. After the light green I dry brushed a bit of red and then a bit of gloss verathane. I think this works well for organic stuff and adds some interest so I will be using it a lot more for wood and cloth.

Bill Gill

Joel, Beautiful vegetables! Not trying to hijack your thread, but here's how I made some bushels of McIntosch apples by mixing four colors of Fimo (a polymer clay). http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=2511.15 (Scroll down to the bottom of the 18 MAR post). What I liked was not having to paint each apple, yet still got a nice variation in color.

Joel Freedman

OK the music store with its interior and sign are done and I've started the interior of the grocery store. All are individual castings or pieces of styrene with labels I made from down loading vintage box covers.

Ray Dunakin

Really nice work on those items in the music store window!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Joel,

could you please tell something about how you made the music store items, especially the gramophone trumpet? Somewhere on the line I got lost about scale, this is 1/32 not 1/87, isn't it?

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Joel Freedman

Hi Volker, not surprising as 1/35 is a weird railroad scale but because the scale is larger I feel the bakery can be really detailed also there are so many detail parts available for other things. The gramophone (and everything else in the window) are from a kit by Model Plus complete with metal etched records and record labels.

TRAINS1941

Joel your doing a really nice job on this.  The details really bringing this to life.

Jerry

Ps See you in a few days.
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Joel Freedman

Here's a rough picture of what the grocery will look like. Many of the details are just placed for now. Jerry look forward to seeing you at the Expo. I'll bring down the diorama to Scranton but I still have a few months work to go.

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Nice temporary placement. -- Russ

Carlo

Show in Scranton? Really?
My grandson lives there.
More info/link please...
Carlo

Joel Freedman