• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

wire end rounding tool

Started by Bill Gill, December 14, 2014, 10:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Perhaps a bit of an extravagance, but tools are always a temptation. This tool is designed to round the rough cut ends of wire used for jewelry making. The price here is $8. The package says it works with wire from 16  to 28 gauge. Most jewelry wire is copper, often with different coatings, so it is designed for soft metal. Will it work on styrene rod?
What to do with it? One idea that leaps to mind is making round rivet heads out of brass wire or styrene rod. Anyone have more ideas?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/197644528/bead-buddy-wire-rounder?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=supplies-handmade-tool-low&ione_adtype=pla&ione_creative=54864763235&ione_product_id=197644528&ione_product_partition_id=89248464755&ione_store_code=&ione_device=c&ione_product_channel=online&ione_merchant_id=101359832&ione_product_country=US&ione_product_language=en&gclid=CLrg8Y2LxsICFeZj7Aod_2wAIw

Design-HSB

Hi Bill,

I own and use such a router, but use them in the mini drill.

"Hohlfräsersatz"  or in English, cutter for forming hemispherical ends.

The rivet heads shown here have been created.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

eTraxx

Bill-
One of the places I always stop when at Michaels is the jewelry section of the store .. specifically the tools section including the beading tools such as that.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Bill Gill

Hi Helmut, I did a search for "hemispherical end cutter" with a few different variations in wording but kept getting a tool that cuts a hemispherically shaped hole instead of a rounded hemispherical end on a rod or wire, but I will keep looking, thanks.

Ed, Yes, sometime random browsing of craft store supplies uncovers all kinds of useful bits and pieces. I remember you and Dallas used googly eyes. You for the ends of a fuel tank, he for a trashcan lid.

Bexley

Try searching for "cup burr."

From Rio Grande, one of my favorite websites to drool over peruse.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bill Gill

Thanks! That finds them. Will they work on styrene rod?

Design-HSB

Quote from: Bill Gill on December 15, 2014, 05:13:02 AM
Thanks! That finds them. Will they work on styrene rod?
Hi Bill,

yes if you slowly, turn without much pressure.
The plastic must not melt.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bill Gill

lab-dad

I have a set - great tool!
use by hand on styrene.
works on brass and steel too (with a lubricant)
-marty