• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Alco 2-6-2T in 16mm

Started by LesTindall, May 22, 2015, 09:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LesTindall

Having seen Scratchman's Glover 2-6-0 I though I might try a "big" scale engine in styrene.I've always liked the 2ft gauge WW1 Alco 2-6-2T's here we go!  Some excellent drawings from a book by Christian Cenac (though they were in 1/35th scale) plus a visit to the real thing at Pithiviers (just south of Paris) helped.  All styrene construction with the driving wheels 3D printed by a local here on the Isle of Wight.  The frames were done from 60 thou and 40 thou sheet glued together (the real frames are nearly 3" thick!) and cut out with a fretsaw (the fingers survived!). Photos show the real engine (one at Froissy in France) and the model progress so far. Les

Chuck Doan

Nice start! That's a nice engine.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

lab-dad

Another very cool build!
16mm to the foot?

-Marty

Ray Dunakin

Nice project, great start!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

LesTindall

Yes Marty, 16mm to the ft, that comes out at 1/19th scale.  Having normally worked in 1/35th this is big but there are still "fiddly" bits (where I need to take my glasses off!), current fiddly bits are the brake blocks.
Les

Hydrostat

Impressive! I look forward to see this come together.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Barney

Very Nice Les - fiddley bits never mind the brake bits what about that valve gear !!!
Marty 16 mm to the foot over here is a big thing using O gauge track 32mm works out at 2 foot gauge - there is a big following of this scale mainly by the live steam garden railway people. But there is an increasing amount of electric 2 rail people mainly for indoor use
Barney

LesTindall

Still at it, slow progress. The amazing thing is the sheer weight considering its all plastic - what it will be like when the boiler and tanks are on who knows. Being in the larger scale the thickness of the pieces is much greater, I've been doing more cutting with a saw than knife.  Brake blocks now on (couple of pics attached) and now on the smokebox saddle/cylinders.   
Les

LesTindall

Its been a quiet day so "cracked on" as they say.  Progress shot of smokebox saddle and cylinders. The saddle and main cylinder shapes were cut out of 60 tho styere using a fretsaw then the curved side pieces were thin sheet just bent into the shapes and glued.  The cylinder cover ends were turned in a Dremel with a small woodworking chisel.  Nbws still to be added to the lower covers and the valve chests finished off before painting and installing.  Then on to the boiler. Hope to make an opening smokebox door showing the tube plate.
Les

Ray Dunakin

Great job! That's going to be a hefty loco when it's done.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

Coming along nicely!
The styrene work is nice and crisp.
Imagine the weight if you did it in brass!

Mj

finescalerr

The painted parts really look like metal. Satisfactory. -- Russ

LesTindall

Painted with Humbrol "Gunmetal" spray from a can, then Bragdon powders for weathering.

Les

Bill Gill