• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35 Lumber Buggy

Started by Marc988, November 16, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc988

The skidder pictured in your the pictures is not based on a sherman but on a M4 High speed artillery tractor.

But no problem there is a 1:35 kit which could be the basis for this conversion   ;)  http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/hobbyboss/hb82407.html   
It would be a massive model btw judging from the "pole".   ;D

Also I had to look for some pics of a sherman tank converted for logging use and found the following;

marc_reusser

Some cool info and pics. Thanks.  Like the look of model of the Sherman skidder/yarder.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Marc988

short update (sorry no pics yet)

I have changed the drive shaft layout as per James' sketch and have added some other bits and pieces.

Does anyone have suggestions on where I could find 1:35 chains for the chaindrive ?

Scratchman

Tamiya 1:12 scale Honda RC166 Metal Chain Set Part # 12633  $58.00. There are 50 links . A clever jig is included to aid assembly.

In 1:16 scale
4", 9", and 10" sprockets

Chain                             
1 1/4" wide                                 
The links are 1 1/2" long.               
The rollers are around 1/2" long.     
The pins are around 1 1/2" long       

In 1:32 scale
8", 18", and 20" sprockets

Chain
2 1/2" wide
The links are 3" long
The rollers are around 1" long
The pins  are around 3" long

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

pwranta193

Oi!  Cool stuff... great looking scratch build... this is another one of those areas that I learn with every posting.

I'd build one of the Sherman ones just to try the red color and weathering (and because I have too many M4 kits in the garage).  Were one to attempt this sort of thing, is there a decent reference on the rigging of what I'm assuming is a mobile and erectable, ummm, spar pole upright?  My logging forebears are rolling in their graves, as I am only guessing that those are spar poles???

Paul

Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

narrowgauger

Hi Marc

for operating chain in 35th scale I use Top Studio 12th scale etchings. Whilst these are not designed as fully operational chain I have found that it is a simple construction to make these fully operational.  the kit comes complete with the jigs to assemble these.

this chain is in fact the smallest available anywhere and when used on 35th scale models, particularly heavy engineering prototypes, such as the armour conversions & locomotives is actually spot on scale.

these kits can be obtained from HobbyEasy in Hong Kong at a price well below the Tamiya chain mentioned in an earlier response. 

Go to: www.hobbyeasy.com  look for TopStudio under manufacturer and search product code TD23012 Honda RC211V chain. Price will be around $US32 plus postage.

I have been dealing with this supplier for many years and find them totally reliable.

Hope this assists
stay cool
Bernard