• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale auto repair shop

Started by Malachi Constant, May 15, 2010, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Looking good that window with all the little details such as keys etc. and now even more parts to check out it´s almost becoming a full time job. ;)

Anders ;D

Malachi Constant

Yeah, and this is all just "background crap" ... wonder if I'll ever work my way to the foreground!  ???  ::)  ;D

PS -- Since we've just bounced to a new page ... posted new photos and links on the previous page this morning.

-- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Gordon Ferguson

Dallas,

just wanted to thank you for such an enjoyable and useful thread. All the links you have posted have opened up a completely new world for me .... they are also costing me a small fortune as I can't resist some of the items, like those tank tool boxes .......... looks like the next project is going to have to be 1.35 scale tried to resist this odd scale, I struggle to get my head round the conversion factors  but at least it would please Marc to have another convert ;D
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Quote from: gfadvance on March 16, 2011, 12:34:37 PM
Dallas,

just wanted to thank you for such an enjoyable and useful thread. All the links you have posted have opened up a completely new world for me .... they are also costing me a small fortune as I can't resist some of the items, like those tank tool boxes .......... looks like the next project is going to have to be 1.35 scale tried to resist this odd scale, I struggle to get my head round the conversion factors  but at least it would please Marc to have another convert ;D

Hey Gordon --

It apparently works in reverse too!  In thinking about your conversion factors, I wanted to re-check sources for scale rulers and just ended up ordering a new one from the UK.

1/35 scale steel rule (or ruler):
Yup, I have a couple plastic rulers and wished that I had a STEEL rule for 1/35 until Gordon mentioned it ... now I've just ordered one.
-- Made by:  Expo Tools in the UK  (http://www.expotools.com/)
-- Ordered one from a UK-ebay seller (treadhead2004), item listed as:  Expo Tools MODELMAKERS 1/35 SCALE STEEL RULE 74135  (Ebay item #380308008883 while that listing lasts)

"Scale Card" and plastic rulers (1/35 and almost any other scale):
-- Scale Card (brand) makes pocket-size cards that are handy for reference, plus 6", 12" and 24" rulers:  http://www.thescalecard.com/
-- They don't have any on-line shopping, so ordering might be a hassle internationally (sorry!)

Other plastic rulers (1/35):
-- CTT, Inc. (no web site) makes or made 12" plastic rulers.  They're only marked with feet and a mark every three inches (no individual inch marks).  Saw a note about them being discontinued, but they still show up in dealer inventories, ebay, etc.  (Try searches for 1/35 scale rule and/or 1/35 scale ruler)
-- Tom Fassett (ebay seller "tomfassett2") has 6" and 12" acrylic rulers that have individual inch marks.  These ARE nice for being clear (see-thru) and having individual inch marks, but they're also a pain because those marks are in white on a clear ruler  ::) ... so that's a mixed bag, but I've found these handy ...

And, now I'm looking forward to getting that steel rule and hoping it has individual inch marks and such ... and, like Gordon, think I'm going to take the plunge and get that Inside the Armour toolbox set too!

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

Or, how about FREE printable rulers:
http://www.miniature-planet.com/scale_rulers.php

Could glue to plastic or a spare metal ruler, etc ... they also sell a lot of textures, etc in various scale ... haven't tried those.

-- Dallas

Gordon Ferguson

Dallas,

if you have ordered the Modelmakers rule then they have inches marked on them .............. if its the 3 sided version (with multiple scales, including 1/35) they do not ......... think the divisions go down to 2 scale inches
Gordon

eTraxx

Reminds me. I had intended to make up a scale 'Pocket Guide' .. something credit card size that I could keep in my wallet .. with like a profile of a man, the front of a car/truck, scale feet/inches down one side .. that sort of thing. The idea is that you can pull it out in a store and compare to 'stuff' to see if it will work on the layout.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Malachi Constant

Gordon -- Thanks for the info.  I ordered the "Modelmakers" version for 1/35, so that should be a nice addition to the tool set here ...

Ed -- The "Scale Card" wallet cards have figures, measurements and such ... printed on a sturdy clear plastic the size of a credit card ... worth the price, IMO.  I printed a paper rule for some other scale stuff & stuck that in my wallet ... ended up making a mess of it, crinkling it with other cards going in and out of the wallet ... Scale Card holds up well to the abuse.  Comes in handy when you're at a train show, hobby shop, etc. and looking at items marked for another scale that seem close to what you might actually need ...

Cheers,
Dallas

finescalerr

Let me put in my highest recommendation for anything by the Scale Card. Jose makes the cards, of course, but also scale rules of 6 and 24 inches. The are incredibly precise and quite robust and available in every scale. I use them almost exclusively.

I have bought or received samples from various rule manufacturers. The Scale Card's are the best. Period.

Russ

chester

I bought a Scale Card but didn't want to walk around with it in my wallet for fear of damage. So I scanned it and printed it on manila card to carry around. When it gets a little rag eared, I print a new one. Keep the original on the bench.
Dallas, this thread is loaded with info, thanks. And very nice work to boot.

Malachi Constant

Playing around with the layout for some dry-lathing (aka "boards") on the back wall for hanging tools, belts, hoses, gaskets and so forth.  These boards are thicker than I'd use, but they happened to be stained the right color!  ;)

Everything is kinda wiggly and crooked here, cuz it's all stuck together with poster-tack ... which really doesn't stick to wood very well.  ANY and ALL thoughts and ideas welcome here.  Still very much in the planning/thinking stage.

BTW, the wood boards under the workbench to the left are there to remind me to raise the height of that a bit when I build a replacement bench ... and, no, at this point I'm not planning to build the other bench on top of Coca-Cola crates!  :)

Cheers,
Dallas

finescalerr

At this point I have no suggestions. I just like it a lot. -- Russ

pwranta193

I was wondering about those high impact bench pedestals you had going on there... out of curiosity are those bottle cases cast in clear resin and then painted (I can't see the bottles).  If they are shown somewhere in the previous 40 pages let me know, I'll go back and find them - but I didn't remember seeing them :)

Any chance of a peg board in 1:35th?  I'm trying to think where I saw a perforated pattern that made me think of it, and have lost it in the cobwebs of age (I think it may have been speaker cover from an old cell phone or the like).  I think the boards are good fodder - but those over thick mock ups are hard to love ;D

I'm still waiting on that case of wall plugs and light switches to arrive  ::)  I just did a couple in 1:16th, and will sub- contract them when I go back to 1:35th  ;D

As always - great stuff Dallas.. keep it coming!

BTW - I'm just re-noticing the stone foundations... nice variation - good visual.
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Malachi Constant

Russ -- Thanks!  (Hope you're okay, you seem a little talkative there.)  ;)

Paul -- The metal shelf is a Verlinden item, photo-etched in stainless steel, and the fret contains a section of pegboard ... which is about the size of the scan of PE wrenches shown in this snap shot.  Think I'm going to forego that and just use ye olde nails in the wood lath to fit the scene better.  (Pegboard is in the Verlinden "Military Workshop Stuff" set, think the metal shelf is also sold separately -- pegboard on that fret.)

The Coke cases are from a 1:43 Coca-Cola truck or other promo done by Franklin Mint, Danbury Mint, Junior Mint or something! ;D  They seem a touch oversize for 1:43, which makes them just about perfect for 1:35.  I think that some careful weathering, glazes or something will tone them down a bit.  (Search "O scale bottles" on ebay -- crates and bottles are inexpensive.)

The stone foundation would have benefited from slightly larger stones, but it was a reasonably satisfactory outcome at my first attempt at scale masonry ... still have to go back and do some coloring and a lot of weathering on the floor ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

PS -- In addition to being thinner (definitely needed), the lathing boards could be about HALF the width shown here.  That would make sense in terms of using cheaper material (regarding "actual" construction in our little world.)  Open to all thoughts ... Dallas