• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The play ground

Started by Daniel, July 24, 2022, 03:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawton Maner

When life serves you a lemon, make a takeout lunch sack!  Brilliant!  Truly the product of a sick mind which is one of the qualifications of membership in this group.  I can use the technique to make bags of garbage in 1:48 scale.   

Daniel

Thank you Lawton.

Indeed, life is constantly serving us great stuff.
I noticed -as with the lemon seed- that each offer comes with own instructions that one couldn't read but feels as a sudden urgency deep under the skin and at the same time in one's inner eyes. No way to resist.

A sick mind? Of course, but i have an advantage: i am also a thoroughbred liar wich is the core of all arts ... ... ... and, sadly, also politics!  :'(

You will like to see (soon) how modeller friendly and generous providers corn, tomatoes and other products from "Mother Nature's Hobby Shop" are. No joke.

Daniel

Daniel

A REQUEST TO ALL

I would appreciate ( a lot) if when someone post in this thread a first time it would include also a link to his/her thread. Or at least one of them.
I have some serious issues with my memory and is hard for me to recall names so i need images.
Seeing a thread manage to keep in my memory very easilly.
But i have another reason: i am tremendous curious and being new here that would be the easier way to get the panoramic view of the tribe camp.
PLEASE!

Daniel

Daniel

No, no yet, but am working and learning hard on it.

Meanwhile, unexpectedly, I've got a simple but magical lesson in just one image:

IMG_4012 by Samuel De Zutter, on Flickr

Daniel

Ray Dunakin

Those barrels are awesome! What scale are they? Did you make them?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Daniel on August 04, 2022, 12:00:01 AMA REQUEST TO ALL

I would appreciate ( a lot) if when someone post in this thread a first time it would include also a link to his/her thread. Or at least one of them.
I have some serious issues with my memory and is hard for me to recall names so i need images.
Seeing a thread manage to keep in my memory very easilly.
But i have another reason: i am tremendous curious and being new here that would be the easier way to get the panoramic view of the tribe camp.
PLEASE!

Here's a link to my In-ko-pah Railroad topic on this forum:

https://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=2801.0

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Daniel

Good morning Ray.

Yes, the wooden barrels and the amazing simple method are awesome. No, it's not my work but Samuel de Zutter's. But will be certainly my method now own!

If you click on the photo you go to the Flickr version and there you'll find left at the top of the image a link: 'BACK TO PHOTO STREAM' where you can see all of Samuel's photos.
Or you can also click here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/135114152@N06/

The scale must be something between 1/48 0n30 and 1/43 UK's '0'. I am sure the rails are Peco's 0n30 and so also some kits.

I have been delaying modelling several scenes because commercial barrels are too expensive for my wallet and i need more or less a hundred in total, most for an old French harbor diorama.
Considered casting my owns from a mold taken from Miniart's barrels or other commercial ones but two things kept me away from that:the 'metal rings' of the plastic ones are much too wide (= modern) for old barrels and my Magoo eyes couldn't afford mainting 7 weathering in acceptable way the individual pieces of the plastic 'wood'. But now i see a way of making a lot of them very fast and easilly. (I will come to that soon but want to complete first the trees theme underway in this thread.)

Thank you for the link to your thread.
Sorry i didn't write any comments there but the case is that while not being a member of the forum i have been stealing from your work as much as posible for several years. I will make that right soon.

Daniel

Daniel

Well, joining this forum is causing a serious crisis in Magoo's world.
It is taking some time but certainly be worth.

The point is when i started to talk trees here i was happy with what i had achieved but while trying to compose something understandable about it i discovered many things could be improved, changed or discarded and replaced.

This two pages Flickr Album (see link below) give an idea of where i was until a month ago. The first page shows views of my layout and the second of an 78cm X 120cm diorama almost completed by then but now waiting for new trees.
I still like it all but when i started to write here a lot of different posibilities appeared in and around my head and some are now using my hands so all that made me consider all previous work as dated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/albums/72177720300951311/page1

If you want to se more of the now dated realm you may like to see this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/albums/72157709531035542

Next is nine pages (more than 800 photos)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/albums/72157704854943981/page1

... and here the foliage chapter, most of wich isn't dated (... yet!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/albums/72157680274954328/page1

A not yet discarded approach...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/albums/72157688932985783

... and auseful device that will stay by me for some years ahead:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/albums/72157717118519916

The drum is simply an removable attachment for my spray both.

So while you try to understand something from all the above, i will be at my playground discovering my new ways.

Enjoy!

Daniel

Lawton Maner

I presume the hidden part of the drum is the exhaust fan.  If you steal the motor from Russ' barbecue it can be automated allowing you to spray with little effort other then pushing the nozzle on the rattle can. 

Daniel

Lawton

The Dutch are generally very sober and correct people... as long as they don't smell frying: if they do they become brutal to get some at any cost. But if the frying is 'French fries' (no one would dare to call them French here), you better hide quickly because anyway you won't see much of the stampede that is better to pass by your side and not above you.

May have been this culture beside the fact that Nederland is a tiny country with the highest population density in the world, has stimulated the production of very good quality vacuum motors, which do not need any maintenance and at a good price: they prefer this beautiful country barely 400km long to smell like tulips rather than frying.

That worked in this case in my advantage: for -by then- 110euro i've got one for the spray booth tha woks as a jewel. It is all stainless steel construction but you can't see it because has been boxed in wood.
It is super silent (under my work room is my second floor neighbor's sleeping room and above my fourth floor neighbor sleeping room and i work sometimes very early as four in the morning or very late in the night also until four in the morning)

The drum rests on two notches cut in the 6mm MDF sides of the spray booth.
I can remove the drum tilling it with two fingers from the notches and there is fully operational my spray booth. It has been working great for years now so, at least for now, Russ' barbecue is safe.

But if the world keeps jumping crazy as it is nowadays, i may replace the motor for an old bycicle and a long chain wich would anyway be good for my diet.

I forgot to mention: to load/unload the drum there is an opening at it's left side. I made also a fitting lid but after a few times i noticed that was absolutelly unnecessary so it is still nearby but not in use.

What will make you laugh is that these days i don't use the drum because am making really a lot of foliage so i made from huge cardstock boxes an 120cm X 60cm X 60 cm spray booth without vacuum because it is more affordable to wear an anti-corona paper mask and nitril globes than to pay the cost of intensive work of the drum and the vacuum motor. (i am using water based Schminke AEROCOLOR acrylic inks so no big risk.)

(If i would be Russ i would keep following the news because the situation could change very fast and. suddenly, his barbacue motor coul be useful here.)

Daniel

Lawton Maner

Daniel:
     My only experience with the Dutch was in August of 1994 where everywhere my brother and I went the call was "free for Canadians".  After 2 days we went with the flow and just said thank you.  Lovely, friendly people, good beer, and better cheeses.  You forgot to mention that the stampede would be on bicycles and they will ride over you if necessary to get to the prize.   

The tour of your shop has given me some ideas which I need to work on for mine.  Keep tormenting us with your ingenious devices and wonderful trees and shrubs.

Daniel

Lawton

First sorry for the delay. I see you posted your message two days ago but, despite i clearly clicked on receive emails and notifications i found youy message just now, when came for taking a look around: no notification at all.
(Tell Russ this may clearly influence the future life of his barbecue motor.)

Yes, the Dutch are absolutely an amazing folk. I lived in several cities and countries but never felt so at home as i do here since the first day forty three years ago. Not even in Argentina, where i was born and grew up.
I understand you are Canadian and, yes, they keep your folk in their hearths after your roll in WWII. Of course you are right about the bicycles and prices.

Regarding my nonsense, rest assured, you will get plenty of it.

Meanwhile, if you like to see a bit more, here a photo album from my old Flickr.
The first photo was taken at the corner of my home and the album covers a 20km ride from home and back. (90+% of the photos made while cycling, no stop) It is all six years ago but except the vehicles the scenes didn't changed much once out of the center

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/albums/72157669279522836

Enjoy.

Regarding the treemaking, a few days ago i made a special tool to make the  inverted 'V' marks on the new generation Birches trees:

IMG_0196 (53) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

The tools is made from two small flat nylon fiber brushes cut down the long sticks, modified the remains and epoxied them toguether:

IMG_0191 (54) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0201 (57) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

The trunk i used is one of the now dated generation for twoi reasons: i wouldn't risk a new one for trying the duble brush but also because i have many new trunks underway but none finished yet.

My doubt about this tool was if it would be worth because a good modelled tree would be spoiled if all V marks look the same. But fortunately, every tiny pressure difference on the brush and also every tiny variation in the angles to the trunk provide an endless symphony of variations.

Meanwhile, (blame this forum and specially Bernhard workplace images for it) i am almost done with an unexpected radical re-arrangement of my 'workhome'.
But today i took a breake and gave some attention to other colouring related stuff. I am going to share it here in an hour or so.

Daniel

Daniel

Well.as said, while the new generation of Birches instructs me about the 'how', here i share my Sunday break.

Mixing colours is one of the most enjoyable works to do but doing it with dry pastels opens plenty of surprising doors.

To avoid causing the parrot in my head to pick up the mic again, I'll try to keep my words to a minimum; but if someone wishes to ask, comment or criticize I will read it carefully and it will be a pleasure to answer.

The skin of my feet, knees and hands dries too much too fast so the doctor adviced me to apply every day a bit of a moisturizing creme. Having no simpaty for cremes or such stuff on my skin, y bought the first one i've found at the supermarket. It works great and tht is fine but the amuch more interesting aspect if the container, as you'll see...

IMG_0001 (7) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0002 (25) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0003 (535) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0004 (507) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0005 (542) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0006 (535) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0007 (496) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

This is the darkest black pastels commercially available (Schmincke) and now let's see someone i've learned from an artist during the late 80's:

IMG_0008 (490) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

That is indeed the darkest black but see this:

IMG_0009 (477) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0010 (475) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0011 (537) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0012 (488) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

That means colours are what they are but our perception see them differently under different light situation.
Above that, what is called 'simultaneous contrast' makes that even if the lighting situation is exactly the same but the surrounding colours are different, the colour will look different too.

So, at least for me, the absolute essential aspect at colour mixing is FREEDOM.

That brought me to ... conclude that this is the right green:

IMG_0014 (428) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

May be these imahes will make it clear:

IMG_0015 (433) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0016 (454) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0017 (447) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0018 (457) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0019 (452) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0020 (448) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0021 (443) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0022 (441) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0023 (422) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0024 (434) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0025 (436) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0026 (430) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0027 (423) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0028 (404) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0029 (388) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0030 (385) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0031 (385) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0032 (373) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0033 (359) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0034 (368) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... so my original 15 boxes chest to keep colours separated...

IMG_0035 (375) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... has taught me to be more humble, freer and more attentive...

IMG_0036 (360) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0037 (331) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0038 (345) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0039 (343) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0040 (323) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0041 (320) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0042 (302) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0043 (312) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0045 (328) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0046 (298) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0048 (302) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0049 (273) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0050 (285) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

If needed i can explain it now with brow, ocker, blues or any other colours but i thing you got the notion.

Some things may ned explication so let's see:

Pastel  are different than paints.
I never clean the brushes after using them. I just let them and next time count they will add their still hanging grains of pigment in my next mix. No joke, i mean it.
I never discuse with the impulses of adding this or that colour: that would interrupt the creative stream and activate the parrot (thinking) which is the worse enemy of attention. So i just humbly obbey and do what the inspiration is telloing me to do. I am not the artist, i am the assitant.

Keeping the mesh tense to scrape the pastels properly is important. Thmesh i use works good for an year or two but then need to be replaced.
Y epoxy the disc of mesh to the lid of the container with the opening already cut out and epoxi on it a disc of hardboard with the same cutout. But that must dry under pressure to get firm. That is why i use the two half circles of thick wood  and an old disc from the smallest dumbell on top and let it set until next day.

The rectangular rasp is for cases where i must rasp the powder 'on site' or when i must rasp a lot of stuff.

The brushes i use must fulfill an esential aspect: they may not loose hairs. For the rest i prefer cheap hard haired ones because they help me to press a bit the pouder onto the surfaces. But for adding powder, for example at the angle between floor and wall or between two walls, before doing that, i often use some fine haired brushes. But doing & doing are the best teachers ever.

Personally i find amazing beautiful is here and there (NOO!!! Not everywhere!!!!) in a green area tiny ocker, or white or other colours show up. The mind won't notice but the eyes do and they love it.

I am sure i forget now several things so feel free to ask if you notice.

Eventually i can tell the same story in browns, grays, reds or any other colours...

IMG_0036 (29) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

... but i think you've already got it.

:-)

Magoo

Daniel

Indeed, i forgot the essential

As said, i don't keep c olours separated anymore and slowly the composition of the chest is growing in all directions,
Chaos?
Of course!
That's the point!

Searching with your eyes in the chaos of pastels the colours for compossing the mix you want is an EXCELLENT  way of learning about the color mix you are looking for.
It is not the opposite than searching in a colours card the right tone, number or name, it is a totallyt different, trully creative way that doesn't use friction energy from the mind but just the energy generated by your attention!

Magoo

Daniel

Of course, Magoo forgot more of the essential:

IMG_0003 (536) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0002 (29) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Daniel