• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The play ground

Started by Daniel, July 24, 2022, 03:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Now another improvised device, this time for cutting the ends of milled wood roof braces using the homemade sled on the table saw...

IMG_0009 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0008 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0007 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0006 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0005 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0004 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0079 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0017 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0018 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0019 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0020 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0021 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0022 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0023 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0024 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0025 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0026 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

In the above photo one must, of course, leave the camera away and use the right hand to hold the to be cut piece in place if you don't like flying wood but the risk is tiny because you are pushing the wood towards the blade with the sled.

(For building the sled i used some MakerBeam profiles and accesories. The profiles are 10mm X 10mm aluminium and really very strong and precise. In case you don't know it, there is a nice range for playing designer and making: 
https://www.amazon.com/makerbeam-10x10/s?k=makerbeam+10x10  )

IMG_0029 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0030 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0031 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0032 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0033 (2) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0034 (3) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Daniel

Bernhard

Your information on pastels and colours is very interesting. Do you fix the pigments on the surfaces at the end?

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

Fascinating stuff!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Daniel

Quote from: Bernhard on August 28, 2022, 10:57:00 PMYour information on pastels and colours is very interesting. Do you fix the pigments on the surfaces at the end?

Bernhard

Thank you, Bernhard.

I use as fixative the cheapest hair spray i can get (bad quality ones contain a lot more glue (and barely parfume) and doesn't create health issues to Mr. Wallet.

But i use them also in different ways:

If i want to get a very smooth surface i preffer to airbrush varnish to seal the work.

If i want to make heavy weathering i built it in layers and use the hairspray as irregularl;y as possible. But inmediatelly i spread here and there some pastel powders and let dry. Once dried, i drag a fingertip in a convenient direction on some specific areas so the tiny pastel grains get crushed. Then i go for next layer spraying here and there a bit and again droping some powder and let dry. This works amazing beautiful for heavy rusty areas.
Sometimes i tear strips of paper and use them as masks so to manage a bit where both, the spray and the powders are going to fall.
I remember some ten or so years ago i managed to simulate a weathere corrugated plate roof where the straight edges of the plates where created in a similar way using strips of tape and paper.
(I will see if i manage to find some photos of that in my old Falickr).

But, Bernhard: my only TOP SECRET regarding working methods is to carefully avoid relaying on... methods!

I like to try plenty of ways to do things but once at work i have no idea what i am doing until it's done. Just then i run to a forum and tell about, as i knew what i was doing which is of course a lie but people like to hear things that way. Plenty of things i have learn from doing insensate things or using crazy materials or tools. Many other beautiful results are results of errors or accidents. Very, very little from what i do is done from knowledge.

That is why i wouldn't give cursus or clinics nor write a book: i am convinced the best i can do is to be provocative so other modellers dare to put aside all they know, including whatever they could have learnt -if anything- from me and start discovering their own way.
Sure, one likes to know in advance what one is going to do. That gives a sense of security, but is false. Such things are essential for making the kind of work you do: one couldn't model a working chain buket exacato in any scale without very serious planing. But the creative world rests on nature, not on the mind so after many years i discovered once i know how something must be done my interest vanished and has no sense to go ahead.
In previous message i explained why is much better to keep all pastels mixed than carefully separated by colour, shade or whatever. Searching in the chaos makes one learn plenty about what one is looking for because the chaos means a constant confromntation with 'wrong' colours and that confrontation builds up an enormous (conscious or not) awareness. That is for me the gold.

(Sorry, i must stop here because the parrot has woke up, heard the word 'gold' and i noticed he is now looking for the microphone so we all better run!)

Daniel

________________________________________________________________________________
B.t.w.: Not for nothing this thread's name is PLAYGROUND.
I hope i'll manege to convey at least a bit of the joy of creating instead of thinking, just as we did with things until we learned to clasify them through language: furniture, clothes, toys and all the boring confusing blah-blah of the parrot in our heads.

Daniel

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on August 28, 2022, 11:17:51 PMFascinating stuff!

Thank you, Ray.

I really preceive you are enjoying and that is great.

Daniel

Bernhard

Thanks Daniel for sharing your TOP SECRETS with us!

Bernhard

Lawton Maner

Daniel:

Do not think that I am Canadian!  My brother, our wives, and I are Americans.  During the 50th Anniversary of Operation Market Garden the local enthusiasm was such that I suspect anyone from the western side of the pond was confused for Canadians.  It didn't help to lessen the confusion that in order to bend to my interest in WWII that my companions had agreed to allow me the time to follow the route of the armored advance for 3 of the 8 days we were there as long as they got to gorge on old churches, old houses, and art galleries.  A small price to pay for a close understanding of the challenges the allies faced as they cut the routes of retreat for the Germans.
     For the time we were there I considered myself to be a Southern Canadian and raised a toast of thank you to our hosts, many who were of the same age I am now.

Daniel

Lawton

Hmm...How do you dare not to be Canadian?
All the rest is o.k. but  :o  not being Canadian?  :D

Yes, the allies had a tough time fighting the German (as, it seems, we all are going to get, this time toguether with younger Germans, to keep the European+ home clean.

And, yes, that is another nice aspect of the Dutch: once the party starts, everybody belongs.

Meanwhile, this morning at 5, the toothbrush put a smile on my face and the camera in my hand. Half awake I found myself taking these lousy photos without wearing the proper glasses, under the wrong lighting and thinking in a necessary breakfast. So excuse the poor quality, future photos will make up for it. But this is ongoing work in a small corner of the diorama  where the greenery is growing little by little and eating everything around...

IMG_0027 (427) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0031 (387) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0002 (35) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

The rolling stock mus get a new paint job and certainly a very heavy weathering but this gives an idea...

IMG_0036 (361) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0037 (333) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Also in another area things are starting to happen...

IMG_0048 (306) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0043 (314) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

IMG_0038 (348) by Daniel Osvaldo Caso, on Flickr

Al Birches are the last of the previous generation. The new ones will go in the bridge under repair diorama once i have find my way through it.

More later.

Daniel

finescalerr

What are the overall dimensions of that diorama? -- Russ

Lawton Maner

The pictures are fine.  There is a mood to them which feels as though it is about to rain and the photographer is afraid of getting soaked. 

On the other hand the background in the first one distracts from the picture.  I've hiked in Vermont where the trails cross streams on bridges such as the one in your diorama.  Some really fine memories from my youth.

Daniel

Quote from: finescalerr on August 30, 2022, 01:20:14 PMWhat are the overall dimensions of that diorama? -- Russ

The three dioramas currently under comnstruction are same size: 123cm X 78,5cm including the fascia. Living in an apartment on the third floor i must always keep in mind the posibility of wanting to take them out and, believe me, you don't want to know how i've learned that.
The layout is something different. It is an L shaped thing with the longest section 3 meters X 0,80m and the shorter section 2,75m X 1m but that one won't reach the street before being chopped as all previous ones. (... and that may happen sooner than thought because a painter doesn't need to have a painting but a white canvas.

B.t.w., no idea what happened bu after receiving notifications from this thread for some days that stopped days ago. Have i done something wrong or is something you can solve from your command post? 

Daniel

Daniel

Quote from: Lawton Maner on August 30, 2022, 07:56:58 PMThe pictures are fine.  There is a mood to them which feels as though it is about to rain and the photographer is afraid of getting soaked. 

On the other hand the background in the first one distracts from the picture.  I've hiked in Vermont where the trails cross streams on bridges such as the one in your diorama.  Some really fine memories from my youth.

Oh, yes, the mood and the backgrounds... You are right. I have a light blue pannel of thin MDF for that and will look if i can find it back.  If Mr. Wallet don't panic. But, as said, i took those photos very early, still in the proces of getting awake while still in slippers and pajamas. But even when awake my good photos are still just accidents.

Yes, i know that may be prety boring for you because photographing models is one of your things. Sorry. I will try to keep that in mind before posting more images.

Daniel

Ray Dunakin

About those machines on the little flat cars -- were those 3D printed?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Daniel, what notifications did you receive? -- Russ

Daniel

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on August 30, 2022, 10:16:14 PMAbout those machines on the little flat cars -- were those 3D printed?

The track laying equipment were from my first experiments with Shapeways ten or so years ago. I never learnt to use CAD but got some results with Sketchup and later Sketchup PRO...

5  7  2012 103 by d.caso, on Flickr

5  7  2012 105 by d.caso, on Flickr

5  7  2012 110 by d.caso, on Flickr

5  7  2012 109 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM 13 8 2011 014 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM 13 8 2011 012 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM 24 8 2011 044 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM 24 8 2011 041 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM PHOTOS 038 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM PHOTOS 020 by d.caso, on Flickr

The skip frames under the machines are not 3D printed but 1/32 whitemetal kits designed to run on 16,5mm track by Roy C. Link and sold as 7mm scale by WRIGHTLINES by then.. The machine above came from Shapeways with a broken piece and another print with so many too ugly traces of the pri nting ;layering that i was furious. But the third print came o.k..
By then FUD was the only material able to reproduce some small detail but was naot strong. Nowadays both, the strenght of materials and the issues with layering seem to be solved but i can't afford it any more so now i model trees! :-)

FM PHOTOS 040 by d.caso, on Flickr

6  11  2011 025 by d.caso, on Flickr

The wagon below and the sleepers are again 3D printed FUD but the rails are LIMA (yes!) H) code 100 rails left for a whole Autumn + Winter at the balcony )The Netherlands is know because the very wet weather) and a good amounbt od salt. But all of that has been paiinted & weathered...

FM  1 003 by d.caso, on Flickr

6  11  2011 006 by d.caso, on Flickr

6  11  2011 015 by d.caso, on Flickr

6  11  2011 009-2 by d.caso, on Flickr

6  11  2011 038-1 by d.caso, on Flickr

6  11  2011 041-1 by d.caso, on Flickr

6  11  2011 037 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 142 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 142-001 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 147 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 143 by d.caso, on Flickr

The wooden frame for the logging disconnects is balsa and the wheels commercial ones but all the rest is again FUD prints...

1 4 2012 145 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 141 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 136 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 128 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 127 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 112 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 104 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 098 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 106 by d.caso, on Flickr

1 4 2012 108 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM PHOTOS 022 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM PHOTOS 026 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM PHOTOS 009 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM 13 8 2011 038 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM 1 9 2011 027 by d.caso, on Flickr

FM 1 9 2011 026 by d.caso, on Flickr

Unfortunately, many of the drawings were lost with a computer that died years ago but later SHAPEWAYS changed its programs and drawings that had been saved because uploaded vanished. Among them those of the metal sleepers.... :'(  :'(  :'(

I'll try to find photos of other printed stuff.

Daniel