• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Designing a shadowbox diorama

Started by Hauk, July 27, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sami

It's beautiful and accurate as always !

Hauk

Another "Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days."
So a little update is in order, I guess.

Since last time I have built the Plywoodbox that houses the diorama:

boks2_w.jpg

Not much to add about the box other than that I want it as black as a black hole, and as matt as possible. The last thing I probably will do before taking the diorama to a show is giving the box a fresh layer of black paint.

Besides the box I have almost finished the metal gates for the diorama. I probably put much more effort into those parts considering that they will be almost 2 feet back in the scene. But I needed the soldering practice, as my soldering skills are surprisingly mediocre. The first of the doors were in fact rather shabby, but the last one was much better. So it is true, you get better with practice! The doors are made from 0,3mm nickle silver, 1mmX1mm brass L-profiles and turned brass rivets with a head diameter of 0,6mm

dorer_03_w.jpg

dorer_02_w.jpg 

The plan is to show the diorama at as a work in progress at an exhibition in november, so the should be more posts before another 120 days has passed!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

1-32

Hi Hauk.
I have been following your builds for a long time now they are always quality,love the top picture of the black box and the model inside
cheers, Kim.

Hauk

Quote from: 1-32 on September 10, 2022, 04:46:41 PMHi Hauk.
I have been following your builds for a long time now they are always quality,love the top picture of the black box and the model inside
cheers, Kim.

Thanks a lot!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

finescalerr

"Mediocre" by your standards would be "good" for most of us. Nice of you finally to update us on your progress. It is an unusual but very attractive diorama and I think you will get a lot of positive feedback when you show it. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

I love this concept of using a box to display an interior diorama. It removes all distractions and separates the diorama from the 1:1 world.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Krusty

Hi Hauk

Beautiful as always. I assume the rivets are a commercial item? Who was the supplier?
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Hauk

Quote from: Krusty on September 11, 2022, 12:51:01 AMHi Hauk

Beautiful as always. I assume the rivets are a commercial item? Who was the supplier?

Thanks a lot!
I do in fact have a modelling collegue that turned his rivets manually, but mine are indeed commercial items.

A bit surprisingly there are several sources, but currently I buy them from Hassler Profile in Lichtenstein:

https://www.hassler-profile.li/index.php/produkte/schrauben-muttern-unterlegscheiben-nieten/nieten/messingniete

In this particular project I use the M99 "Nieten".

I get my brass profiles from his as well. Not cheap, but great quality. His homepage is in Ferman, but it works well with Google Translate.

Hassler has a lot of goodies for scratchbuilders, and I can really reccomend him.
https://www.hassler-profile.li/index.php
Regards, Hauk
--

Hauk

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on September 10, 2022, 11:48:41 PMIt removes all distractions and separates the diorama from the 1:1 world.

That´s exactly what I am aiming for.
Thanks!
Regards, Hauk
--

Peter_T1958

In addition to the outstanding craftmanship it is simply a very cool idea with that black box! I really would like to see it in reality... :-\
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on September 11, 2022, 03:25:42 AMIn addition to the outstanding craftmanship it is simply a very cool idea with that black box! I really would like to see it in reality... :-\

Come to The National Railway Museum at Hamar, Norway 6 & 7 november! I´ll be there togheter with some other fine Norwegian modellers.

And remember to bring some of your own toys!
Regards, Hauk
--

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Hauk on September 11, 2022, 03:39:05 AMCome to The National Railway Museum at Hamar, Norway 6 & 7 november! I´ll be there togheter with some other fine Norwegian modellers.
And remember to bring some of your own toys!

Hmm, 20 hours by car? Well at least I could do it in just one day  ;D

Cheers, Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Bernhard

Interesting concept, I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Bernhard

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on September 11, 2022, 11:33:57 AMHmm, 20 hours by car? Well at least I could do it in just one day  ;D

Cheers, Peter

I would suspect there are more interesting shows within a 20 hour drive from your home!
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

Maybe, Havard, but you would not be there. -- Russ