• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hulett Ore Unloader in 1:32th

Started by Bernhard, February 08, 2023, 08:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Thanks Lawrence, Russ and Ray.

Lawrence, I have already thought about Arduino. However, I have the same problem with it as with RC technology: I don't know anything about it (yet). Some time ago I just checked whether I could fit the necessary hardware anywhere in the machine. But that shouldn't be a problem.
Sooner or later, I will probably have to take a closer look at the subject of control systems.

Bernhard

Lawrence@NZFinescale

I'm pretty ignorant on Arduino at present too, other than knowing they are cheap and capable.  My first 3d printer had an Arduino driving it, my son has a robot based on one and there are quite a few laying around the house for one reason or another. The one on my desk is a servo test rig.  Hardware-wise it is pretty simple - most of it involves buying the bits and plug/play as far as I can see.  Software is more involved, though in many cases there are downloadable libraries that will do what is needed, or serve as a basis.  The DCC system can be downloaded complete (you may not need that, but it illustrates the point).  Servo and motor drivers are available. There's an online community for help.

Notwithstanding all that there will certainly be a learning curve.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Bernhard

Hello modeling friends

In the new year I will continue with the construction of the front tower. Before the outer side plates can be attached, I have to make two trusses that will be mounted between the inner and outer side plates. To do this, I have to cut a few parts to size and punch rivets.

Hulett 0177.JPG

These parts will then be used to make the two trusses.

Hulett 0178.JPG

As the trusses have to fit exactly between the side plates, I mill a soldering jig from Pertinax for the assembly.

Hulett 0179.JPG

So, I can solder the trusses together quickly and precisely using the resistance soldering device.

Hulett 0180.JPG

Bernhard

The finished trusses, ...

Hulett 0181.JPG

... installed between the side plates.

Hulett 0182.JPG
Hulett 0183.JPG

Bernhard

There are U-channels on the back of the tower that are riveted on two sides. I can punch the rivets in the base. However, I first have to make an appropriately adapted holder for the rivet punching machine.
You can see the holder for angle profiles at the front and the new holder for the U-channels at the back.

Hulett 0184.JPG
Hulett 0185.JPG

The side rivets I have to glue in as pin rivets.

Hulett 0186.JPG

The finished parts, each with two rows of rivets.

Hulett 0187.JPG

Bernhard

Supports for the carriageway of the larry car are added at the front.

Hulett 0188.JPG

Now the bent cover plates are still missing. I'll build a suitable bending device for this. The bending rollers are turned ...

Hulett 0189.JPG
Hulett 0190.JPG

... and mounted on a vice. The inner roller is designed with two grooves so that the rivet rows are not pressed flat during bending.

Hulett 0191.JPG

Bernhard

This makes it relatively easy to shape the sheets.

Hulett 0192.JPG
Hulett 0193.JPG

Making the middle sheet is a little more complicated because it has two curves and has to fit exactly.

Hulett 0194.JPG

Bernhard

Now it still needs a few small parts, such as a bell ...

Hulett 0195.jpg

... or a few hats, which can be clearly seen in various photos, but whose function is unclear to me.

Hulett 0196.jpg

This completes the front tower itself.

Hulett 0197.jpg

Now it will first be glass bead blasted. Then the platforms can be added.

Bernhard

Bill Gill

Oh my goodness, Bernhard, that is an amazing amount of progress since your previous post. It is looking great.

1-32

Peter_T1958

Berhard, you get me a little frightened  :o

"Machsch mer scho e chli Angscht!" in Swiss-German dialect.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Bernhard on January 14, 2024, 02:20:59 AM... and mounted on a vice. The inner roller is designed with two grooves so that the rivet rows are not pressed flat during bending.

Another way to protect detail is to place a piece of soft card over it.  Rolling works just as well, but rivets etc push into the card and are protected.  I find it useful for cab roofs, where there are rivets and rainstrips to protect.  Saves having to make unique rollers and also copes with detail aligned with the roller axis.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

Bernhard, that is truly impressive; not just the execution but your ability to visualize what to do before doing it. Satisfactory. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Following this project develop is pure joy.
Even if I will never reach this level of modelling each update is a great inspiration for getting into the workshop and bash some brass.
Please keep the updates coming!

By the way, regarding the dicsussion to use rivets or not, I think this an excellent argument for the use of rivets:

Hulett 0181.JPG

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past