• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Another Artillery Tractor

Started by Peter_T1958, March 04, 2024, 08:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_T1958

Encouraged by Russ I thought I could post some pics of my latest work. And it fits better into this category as it represents a « Dürkopp 80hp » artillery tractor of the German Army in WWI.
All files are now done. It is in 1/35 scale and a small serie will be produced by a French company (as already my Büssing tractor).
Meanwhile I have learned a lot more about CAD design – in particular to combine parts on request of my producer to reduce the opportunities for copyists. Never imagined that  :'(

Hope you like it!
Cheers, peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

This model will really be worth seeing. It must have taken weeks to draw. Please post photos if you or anyone else builds it. -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: finescalerr on March 04, 2024, 11:44:53 AMPlease post photos if you or anyone else builds it. -- Russ

'IF'.  A soul destroying concept for a kit designer!

Most modellers have a collection of unbuilt kits, and it's a sad fact that most of the kits I send out never actually get built.  That's the reality that keeps Mr Airfix and Mr Tamiya in business but to a small manufacturer it's a bit sad at a personal level (although it keeps me going too).
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Ray Dunakin

Very interesting prototype. The rear wheels in particular seem rather complex.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Lawrence@NZFinescale on March 04, 2024, 11:51:41 AMMost modellers have a collection of unbuilt kits, and it's a sad fact that most of the kits I send out never actually get built.

At least one will be built - my own example ;D  That is also the case with my «Büssing». Although the kit is very detailed there is a lot to improve yet. I do this with my own etchings and some scratch building as you may see here:

Frame.jpg

One of the aspects considered positive is that it's not my intention to earn money with this hobby. I do what I would like to have as scalemodel on my desk, someone does the printing for me and as a small financial contribution, I get some small payment. This is far better, then printing my parts at Shapeways that costs a lot and the results aren't useful.

Cheers, Peter

fspg2

Frithjof

Peter_T1958

Thanks Frithjof, that's really nice and friendly! But compared to your outstanding work I feel very inadequate gluing bits of plastic together!!!

finescalerr

Here is a suggestion, Peter: Feel adequate. Your modeling skills are terrific. -- Russ

Bernhard

You have chosen some really special prototypes for your models. I am impressed by the realization in the model.

Bernhard

Peter_T1958

Thanks all! Well, it's really something special, having researched those strange vehicles for about forty years, and suddenly there is an interest on the (...very small) market.

BTW, there was also a 100hp Dürkopp tractor, that would have surpassed all! It was a truly amazing sight and my alltime favorite:

Unfortunately, I have no idea, how the monstrous rear wheel was positioned within the frame. There must have been some modifications not only in relation to the frame (due to the wheel's bigger diameter) but also in relation to the transmission, as the chain sprocket has moved above the frame, and much more!

Alas, according to the producer's philosophy to bring out the most reliable prototypes, the big Dürkopp was not an option – sadly!

Peter_T1958

And suddenly things went very fast. The producer posted the test sample on his FB site. It would seem that everything fits together rather well...

I am quite pleased with the final outcome !

finescalerr

I'm quite pleased with it, too. -- Russ

Hauk

Great looking beast!
What is that big hump over the engine on the prototype, by the way?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Hauk on March 07, 2024, 11:15:38 PMWhat is that big hump over the engine on the prototype, by the way?

If I understand correctly, you are talking abvout the enlarged bonnet and radiator on the 100hp version?!
Already back then attempts were made to update existing parts or components without great effort. After the order of the German high command, the existing 80hp design (my scale model) was adapted to the requirements of the much bigger engine (100hp) by simply adding a second floor of bonnet parts and by enlarging the radiator upwards. This was partly made with already produced radiators for the 80hp version. You can make out the point in the grille very well (picture at post #9).

Stuart