• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Designing a shadowbox diorama

Started by Hauk, July 27, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Another bump of the thread to show that I have not given up the project.

A test assembly made in a hurry to see if things fit together. It looks promising, even with the sanding residue and a rather unpolished column.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bill Gill

Even though it was a quick project, it looks good and promising, Hauk

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Sami

The last publishing are wonderful !

Hauk

Thanks for all the nice comments!
Even if there is not much visible progress, some work is getting done in Fusion, mainly on the mechanism for the gantry cranes.

Some work has been done on the drilling machine as well:

240501_Raboma.jpg

Suggestions for how to remove that very unphotogenic sanding dust are most welcome!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Peter_T1958

Looks good, and it looks like you have replaced now the vertical column with metal tube or rod. Or is it covered with some kind of bare metal foil ?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

NORCALLOGGER

Quote from: Hauk on June 03, 2024, 11:17:38 PMSuggestions for how to remove that very unphotogenic sanding dust are most welcome!

Try rubbing with a Anti cling dryer sheet, if you can tolerate the scent.

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Hauk on June 03, 2024, 11:17:38 PMSuggestions for how to remove that very unphotogenic sanding dust are most welcome!

Soft brush generally works for me (did it literally 30sec before sitting down here).  Damp brush if there's a particularly reluctant corner.  Compressed air if you have it and the item is robust and it won't cause other issues.

If the resin is still sticky (improperly cured) then it's more difficult.  I'd try alcohol wetted brush in that case.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Hauk

The Columbia is 7mm mild steel. If it can be mistanken for Metal foil, I have some work to do on the finish.

I had to machine the rod to the final dimension, and really rushed the job on the lathe. Never rush even what seems to be a trivial task. Which we all know is the first rule of modeming...
Regards, Hauk
--

Barney

Looking Good - but Im still thinking those motors look way to small for the size of machine
a bit of info MiniArt have introduced a lathe I wonder if its a start of a range of machines
With machines I find the scale is not to bad for larger scales or smaller scales
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

WP Rayner

You might try a watchmaking product called Rodico. It's a putty used for cleaning balance pivots, train wheel pivots, removing finger prints and stains from plates, bridges, dials, hands; removing excess oil from watch jewels and taking out broken pivots from the jewels. It also picks up small dirt and dust particles and can be used for holding small parts... very useful stuff that I suspect would clean up your sanding dust from the cavities in a jiffy. Importantly it doesn't leave any residue on the surface as long as you always use a clean portion of the putty. Basically you can't clean a surface with a dirty cleaner.

Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Barney

Humbrol Metal Coat polished steel - first a coat of Humbrol matt Dark Grey When Dry - Dry brush Polished steel
See Jacobs Creek Mk 2 in modellers at work
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Peter_T1958

That's the right tip at the right time!  I was battling in my head how to archieve this effect - thanks!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hauk

Quote from: Barney on June 05, 2024, 09:22:38 AMHumbrol Metal Coat polished steel - first a coat of Humbrol matt Dark Grey When Dry - Dry brush Polished steel

Great tip!
What Color is the green, by the way?
Regards, Hauk
--

Hauk

Just a recent photo to show that the project is alive. Not shure how many pieces of rolling stock that is optimal for the scene. Might be enough with a disassembled engine.

By the way, when I blackened the trucks I rediscovered a useful truth about Birchwood Casey blackening: Aluminum blackening is much more effective on brass than BC brass blackening!
Regards, Hauk
--