• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Diesel kitbash suggestions needed

Started by Ray Dunakin, September 16, 2010, 08:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I have an Aristocraft RS-3 that we were given a couple years ago. It's a great loco but it's 1/29th scale and my layout is 1/24th. I have to open it up to install the receiver and sound, so I figured while I'm at it, I should kitbash it into a narrow gauge loco. I'm wondering if there was ever a prototype that was any where at all similar to the RS-3? I'd prefer to use as much of the existing shell as possible.

I'll create a completely fictional kitbash if necessary but I'd still want to make it as plausible as I can.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Ray,

Can you post a pic of the Loco? (I have no idea what an RS3 is. I assume its not like an Audi RS8 ;) )

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Is this the one ?

If so suggest you have a look at this site, most of the German manufacturers listed with photos - you'll need to work through them but think you will need a European narrow gauge prototype if you want to retain a lot of the existing structure .

http://www.werkbahn.de/photos.htm
Gordon

finescalerr

Sorry, Ray. Won't translate. The closest diesels I can think of would be those on the White Pass & Yukon but they are rather unique. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: gfadvance on September 16, 2010, 11:10:20 PM
Is this the one ?

Yep, that's it.

I'll probably just build a bigger cab, widen the walkways, replace the handrails and a few other details, and call it narrow gauge.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Ray --

Have a look at the Russian TU-4 / TY-4 (depending on how you translate their alphabet):
http://narrow.parovoz.com/Tu4.html

Also South African Railway:
http://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/gallery/show.php?image_id=236&cat_id=61

Neither would use the distinctive Alco hoods, but might give you some ideas.  Think the Russian loco may be well-suited for a bash on that chassis and has nice proportion ... definite narrow gauge look.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

gnichols

My dad often said this about rebuilding cars, "Park it under an overhead crane, gently lift off the radiator cap, and then drive a newer car under it (or loco, or truck, etc.)
  Kidding aside, I'd probably just make a larger (longer / higher) cab with higher windows and perhaps make higher hand rails.  Leave the rest alone and repaint.   Gary