• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Making tractor seats

Started by gnichols, September 13, 2010, 02:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnichols

Gang,
  For those of you who model commercial vehicles in the larger scales, I'm in dire need of some tractor seats in 1/8 (or perhaps 1/10, or 1/12, even?), particularly copies of the stamped metal type.  Diecast models in 1/8 are just too expensive for me to buy and then chop up for parts.  If you know of an inexpensive source, perhaps toys?  I'd welcome help in tracking them down, too.
  So, by any chance have you cast these in resin in the past and would make repops available?  I've got no idea how to make one from scratch, given the compound curves.
  Thanx, Gary

Ken Hamilton

Gary, Here's the seat I made for the Lumber Stacker.

Unfortunately, I don't have a SBS for this piece, but the technique is the same as
forming the grill shell on the lumber carrier:

I made a wooden buck, heated a sheet of styrene and pulled it down over the buck:

The formed plastic was then trimmed and finished:

You can do a buck for the seat, taking into account that you're carving the buck in reverse.
When you pull the heated plastic over the buck, you're looking at the underside of the seat.

Hope that makes sense..........

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

gnichols

Ken,
  Many thanx for the tip.  As a crazy aside, I also posted my resin seat request on the SE Lounge and after annealing / forming sheet metal was proposed there (I've never worked in metal), I second guessed myself into a technique very much like this.  Except I was just going to use heavy gloves and form the seat in my hands / thumbs!  Your way takes longer a little longer but is probably safer!  When I get some free time I'll give this a try.  Thanx, Gary

Ken Hamilton

Hand-forming hot plastic sounds WAY too painful, Gary.

The seat buck doesn't take much time to carve.  I did my little one in about 10-minutes.
Helpful Hint: To check your progress, stick the buck into a wad of modeling clay. 
That'll show you what the seat looks like. I'm anxious to see how it works for you..........
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

eTraxx

This is some good info. I have one of the Tamyia 1:48 Komatsu Bulldozer with the intention of reverse-engineering it to a crawler tractor (what it originally was before the IJN asked them to build a bulldozer). I want THAT kinda seat .. so thanks! :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"