• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Dust!

Started by Bexley, April 20, 2012, 05:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bexley

My employer is in a partnership with Dust Studios. We distribute and develop Dust Tactics, and have just launched Dust Warfare, a tabletop minis version of Dust Tactics. My job is making all the scenery for marketing, as well as demo tables to take along to trade shows. (Sadly, all of the figures in our marketing are the factory pre-painted figures, and not my work. Ah, well.)

Here is a fancy promotional video. (And here is a link to the game's mini-site.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jzOd7BGzj9Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please ignore the shot of the table that they filmed without informing they were going to do so, which has an entirely unfinished base, complete with spackled nail holes.  ::)
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

(Okay.... so how do I embed video here? None of YouTube's options results in success.)
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

marc_reusser

Bexley,

The link seems to work fine. took me to the YouTube page and video (didn't watch it fully as buffering is slow at the moment on my phone.)

Looks like it will be a fun venture to be involved in. Lucky you.

Why aren't they using Jose Brito to paint the display pieces (the large armor units/walkers)? (No offense to you. :) ) The guy is a stellar modeller and painter. I know he paints their larger stuff, and it is simply beautiful.  Seems like a dumb marketing mistake not to use a better painter.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Bexley

The link to YouTube works, but the embed code to display the video here in the forum doesn't. At least, for me. I know I've seen others do it, but I don't see any "post html" or "media link" options to fiddle with.

It's better marketing to show off the the premium pre-painted figures, as they are a finished product people can actually buy. One of the big selling points is, "Hey, the figures come assembled and primed, so you can play straight out of the box. And for a bit more cash, you can even get them already painted." The pre-paints are nowhere near what a talented painter can do, but honestly, they are really well done compared to most pre-paints. Every painted Dust model on our website, in the book, or in that video is a factory paint job.

As far as me painting for work... well, I can't really talk about that yet. I can, however, repeat information that has been posted on the front page of our website by our marketing staff:

"Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce that it has entered a comprehensive licensing partnership with Lucasfilm Ltd. for the worldwide rights to publish card, roleplaying, and miniatures games set in the popular Star Wars™ universe!"
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

marc_reusser

Well, I certainly hope you will continue to post/share/update your work on any of these projects. I would greatly enjoy seeing it.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Krusty

One of your murder scene dios featuring the late Jar Jar Blinks would be most excellent.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Malachi Constant

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 21, 2012, 01:13:55 AM
Well, I certainly hope you will continue to post/share/update your work on any of these projects. I would greatly enjoy seeing it.

Marc

Ditto!  Especially enjoyed your recent assault of rocket-pop zombies ... far, far left field from anything that I'm likely to model (well, maybe not) ... but definitely inspiring.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Bexley

Heh. Given that the vast majority of miniatures and models are military/conflict related, it's tough for death and destruction not to be involved, even if only tangentially. I manage it on occasion, but even when it's not the subject, it's often implied.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

JESTER

Bexley, larger pics on the website would be awesome! My son wants to buy some stuff but we can't really see what they look like because the images are so small.

-

Bexley

Huh. I'd never really noticed that. (Probably because I place my orders by saying, "Hey, Joe, gimme two Allied light walkers.") When they announce new products, the announcement article features good pics. I'd just assumed those photos were on the catalog pages as well. (You could go tracking those down, as they should all still be available, but that's a pain.) If you go to the actual product page for each item, you get a bit better photo, but not much. I will pass this along to marketing.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Malachi Constant

Jester --

There is a "work around" to view larger photos.  

First photo below shows what you see on the screen ...

Second photo shows what you get when you use the work-around to see the larger original ...

The work-around:
-- Right-click on the desired image and select "copy image location"
-- open a new tab
-- paste the image location in the browser address bar (right-click and select "paste") and hit enter

Alternate work-around:
-- Right-click and save the photos to a temporary folder on your computer, where they will appear in the larger, original size.  (I check a few samples and found larger originals for each of those ... no warranty that larger photos are available for all!)  8)
-- Review/peruse the photos in your temporary folder ... appears that the photo names are coded to the product number, so it should be a cinch ... or you can rename them when you save them.

Cheers,
Dallas

Bexley

Wrong website. I believe it's my company's site that's at issue, not Dust Models'.

(However, if you look at the Dust Tactics product pages at Paolo's site, there are multiple, better photos of the models. But I think if you order from there, shipping is from Asia.)
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Malachi Constant

Oops!  Thread-title induced senior moment ... in the words of Emily Latella ... nevermind!  8)