• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:25 Cardstock Big Boy

Started by eTraxx, July 29, 2010, 07:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaKra

I've noticed with the high end of these paper models, the paper is a structural material only.  It ends up painted, in traditional ways of model building.   Which, I suspect, says a lot about the limitations of using a printed finish.   :-\

Dave   

eTraxx

That's the same model I original posted about .. (once I went back and fixed the link)

Noticed that in papermodelers .. there seems to be two camps. 1) the purists .. who use only paper .. broken down into 1a) .. except some wire .. 1b) wire and paint .. and 2) many of the East European modelers who simply consider paper as a tool .. and will use whatever .. wire, ACC, etc. to make a model. .. which I gravitate towards.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

Ed, is it philosophical difference toward modeling or maybe a difference in how far the modeler wants to take the model? I have seen guys who buy a paper "kit" (prints in a book), cut out the parts, assemble them very carefully, and leave it at that. The result is a printed model and it looks unfinished.

The real hotshots take the same kit, add whatever detail it needs (usually from paper but also wire and wood), paint it, weather it, and the result is a stunningly realistic model indistinguishable from one made out of any other material.

Dave, you are right about the limitations of printed finishes. I just posted photos in the "Wall" thread showing the limit of what I've been able to do with a printer.

Russ

Ray Dunakin

Holy moly! That paper Big Boy apparently has every single part that the real thing has!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World