• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Incredible Paper Ship Model (2000 hrs of work)

Started by marc_reusser, November 04, 2010, 03:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gin sot

That would be awesome.  I mostly scratchbuild structures, so I haven't come across any of the newer kits that use laserboard or cardstock yet. 

Yes, laser-cut kits can be assembled quickly and easily . . . if you don't care about filling in the horrible grain that often mars the tiniest details.  My biggest "WTF?!?" regarding laser kits is wood grain that runs perpendicular to the long axis of what's supposed to be a piece of scale lumber lumber.   >:(

OTOH, here I am bitching into the ether and not designing my own innovative laser-cut structures, so who's really the asshole here?

W C Greene

Today's paper/cardstock models are really fine. I wish I could use that medium but since my layout is outside, I am afraid that a paper model would last...maybe overnight! I have built a couple of laser 1:32 coach kits that were made of thin MDF, of course it has no grain unless you want to work on it. The manufacturer is out of business now, too many modelers wanted the kits but wanted to wait until they got tax checks or social security..not good for someone wanting to sell kits. Some truly fine work has been shown here, thanks for the inspiration.
                           Woodie
miles to go before I sleep...

DaKra

Yeah, that wrong way, and out of scale grain stuff is one of my pet peeves too.  Its not an inherent problem with laser cut parts, the designer is responsible.   If they cared, they could use a grain free material, or orient the part in the direction of the grain.  Duh.   But standards being what they are, you can't expect too much.   Regarding laser cut parts for paper kits, some of the E-Euro kits have them.   Plus photo etch and lathe turned brass parts.   Different mentality over there. 

finescalerr

Our train hobby derived from toys, like Ives and Lionel. The attraction was to watch it go in circles, drool, and make it go faster.

While I have no idea how things evolved in Europe, it is possible static modeling has a stronger influence. All high quality paper vehicle kits from Europe are strictly static models. That Big Boy from other threads, for example, has virtually every visible part of the full size locomotive and its sole purpose it to be viewed.

I still have no idea why the approach to architectural paper models, even in Europe, is so simplistic: No texture, no embossing, no attempt to apply a more realistic finish than the printed paper, and much detail is printed rather than applied.

Russ

marc_reusser

Quote from: W C Greene on November 08, 2010, 03:35:03 PM
The manufacturer is out of business now, too many modelers wanted the kits but wanted to wait until they got tax checks or social security..not good for someone wanting to sell kits.                            Woodie

Unfortunately, there was more to it than that, much of it "self inflicted".  Really too bad, I had high hopes for him. Those kits, though a great idea, subject, and well designed, should have been done out of ply. The MDF was a real problem (almost nightmare) to work or modify. I went through two kits and a 2 park benches to see/gauge the limitations of the material...and unfortunately they were quite severe.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works