• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Completed » Fish Sub / Paddlewheel!

Started by FichtenFoo, September 25, 2010, 07:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

What's the big deal? All his models are superb. What else did you expect? -- Russ

JESTER

Very Nice!! Did you scratch build the oval name plate?

-

RoughboyModelworks

Beautiful job Michael... photos are excellent and absolutely convincing. Though, I am curious how you got Angelina Jolie's lips in the porthole?  I realize it's the leather seat but in the first photo it looks like a big pair of lips... ;D

Paul

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

JohnP

Indeed more pics please! This is beyond comprehension. The photo with the paddlewheel looks like the best CG artist made it. The whole deal demonstrates a mastery of the finishing arts. It is a unique and complete concept carried out with great intent. And he showed us all how to do it.

Thanks
John
John Palecki

FichtenFoo

Wow, thanks guys! Quite the accolades!  ;D Now go build yours! I want to see! Also check out the Group build on my forum. So far just one other build-up on-going but it's really great! A racer version.

The CG image was fun to make. I recalled watching how they made scenes from "The Hunt for Red October" and "The Abyss" so used those memories to do this. I didn't want to use smoke, so added that haze in photoshop. Making adjustment layers to desaturate and add blue helps. Also messing with the contrast, using wave and ripple filters for the lighting effects on the sub and surface water, using a 1% huge dissolve brush to start the speck floating in the water... Having good refs helps. I also had the assistance after I started of an underwater archeology student who actually dove a paddlewheel wreck and told me to really pop the reef colors as IRL they're really bright with lots of reds.

Paul: I noticed the lips too. Pretty funny! Fish-lips!

Jester: That was part of the PE I produced for the kit.

Russ: Hahaha! Thanks!

Chuck, Hauk, Ray, John, Marc: Thanks guys!
Chicks dig giant robots.

lab-dad

May be a "waterline" version will be available someday.......
I could see one bobbing in a harbor somewhere in South Florida!.....
Would be a shame to cut a whole one up.
Really enjoyed all the pics and info on this build.

Does it bother you all those were sold and only one "lives" so far?

-Marty

DaKra

Turned out great!    I really like your diorama compositions, they are very 3 dimensional and lively without being complicated.   

Dave 

BKLN

I have to say that Michael's work might be some of the most creative I have seen in a while. Obviously, this forum is a showcase of some of the most talented model builders in the world. And we usually judge good modeling by the execution of the build, the paint job, the weathering. But besides being perfectly executed, it shows a true talent for storytelling. So much of our work fits into certain categories: narrow gauge trains, automobiles, structures and so on. But Michael's stuff always sticks out. Can't be categorized. Very cool!

FichtenFoo

Quote from: lab-dad on December 08, 2010, 11:09:42 AM
May be a "waterline" version will be available someday.......
I could see one bobbing in a harbor somewhere in South Florida!.....
Would be a shame to cut a whole one up.
Really enjoyed all the pics and info on this build.

Does it bother you all those were sold and only one "lives" so far?

-Marty

Thanks! Not sure about producing a waterline version... there's only been a couple requests for it and you lose so much of it that way. Plus it'd mean making an all new PE set-up which unfortunately isn't cheap. More than half the cost of my initial run's PE cost was the set-up for the film negative. I don't know if I could justify the cost. ??? Actually there's mine and another. Check out Mike Rinaldi's build-up on my forum's group-build: http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6001.0

Quote from: DaKra on December 08, 2010, 11:42:41 AM
Turned out great!    I really like your diorama compositions, they are very 3 dimensional and lively without being complicated.  

Dave 
Thanks!

Quote from: BKLN on December 08, 2010, 01:00:22 PM
I have to say that Michael's work might be some of the most creative I have seen in a while. Obviously, this forum is a showcase of some of the most talented model builders in the world. And we usually judge good modeling by the execution of the build, the paint job, the weathering. But besides being perfectly executed, it shows a true talent for storytelling. So much of our work fits into certain categories: narrow gauge trains, automobiles, structures and so on. But Michael's stuff always sticks out. Can't be categorized. Very cool!

Thanks! I try to weave my own little world. I already live in one... might as well model one too!  :D
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

Hey , Marty , give us a chance , we've only had them for a week or two . Unlike the two Mikes the rest of us are slow workers .

Plus I'm waiting to gather as many tips as I can before "diving in" ,

Nick

Bexley

Just use a resin waterline. You'd still get to see everything. Though, you'd probably have to be extra careful that the cockpit is watertight before pouring.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Philip Smith

Your build turned out wonderful Michael! I prefer your highly maintained one over your associates version.

Philip 

Malachi Constant

Just noticed a couple "figure" sets (well, critters actually) that might be useful to the underwater / seaside fans ... Mantis Miniatures have a couple 1/35 sets with various fish, seals, pelicans, seagulls and a crab:

http://www.mantisminiatures.pl/EN/11,0,Accesories.html

These are supposedly offered in the US by Military Miniatures Warehouse ... but trying to navigate that clumsy site leaves me wondering ...

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Check out Google's interactive "doodle" honoring the birthday of Jules Verne! I just saw it and it reminded me of your diorama.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World