• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Heywood Point Lever or getting to the point with Sir Arthur...

Started by W.P. Rayner, January 23, 2011, 03:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

Just finished the 3D CAD work on the Heywood Point Lever for Mike Decker. Mike supplied a 2D drawing and dimensions from which I created the 3D version. First rendering shows front and back views of the lever assembly.

The lever function was very simple. It mounted through the lower pivot point, the throw rod to the turnout attached to the middle pivot point. The lever was simply moved forward to backward to open or close the turnout. The counterweight pivoted, via the protruding handle, from side to side to hold the lever in position by gravitational force. The photo below (detail from a shot taken at Balderton) shows a pair of levers in use.

There was a rule that the counterweight had to be moved "gently" into position, probably because of a weakness in the casting at the counterweight's pivot hole. Renderings below show more detailed views of the lower end of the lever assembly. The lever and counterweight were each cast as single pieces. There is some speculation that the protruding handle may also have served as a plug, allowing a hollow casting to be filled with lead for increased weight. Sir Arthur didn't believe in a lot of extra machining on his castings, so most were left rough as they came out of the sand with only minimal, essential machine work.

Paul

Mobilgas

Paul,     Interesting ;) was this used in the US or overseas.         
Craig

W.P. Rayner

Craig:

They were just used in the UK on the Heywood 15" gauge lines: Duffield Bank Railway and Eaton Hall Railway, late 19th and early 20th century.

Paul

artizen

My layout is based on the teachings and prinicples of Sir Arthur Heywood - will these be available in Gn15 scale (1:24)?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

W.P. Rayner

Possibly Ian if there's enough interest. I'll make a note that you may be interested. Mike is producing a modified version for 1.5" scale and is using these CAD drawings for his pattern maker to prep for casting replicas in 1:2 for his railway. I have a client building in 1:6 in Europe who has indicated interest and I will probably do a couple for my diorama in 1:12, though that's going to be a ways off yet.

Paul

DaKra

Hi Paul

Great renderings as usual.  What software are you using? 

Dave

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Dave. I use Ashlar-Vellum's Cobalt. Started using it a little over five years ago and it's been able to handle everything I've needed to do.

Paul

SandiaPaul

Paul

Chuck Doan

Wow, a 14" diameter printed part. $$$$$ if it can be done at all.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

W.P. Rayner

Quote from: SandiaPaul on January 25, 2011, 09:14:28 AM
Paul,

Maybe you 2 guys should introduce yourself?

Paul

We have been in touch... it would appear I've started a trend in the Heywood camp. It will be interesting to see if he goes with rapid prototyping or more traditional pattern making for the wheel.

Paul