• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

How To Make A Venetian Blind

Started by Ken Hamilton, February 27, 2011, 07:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Hamilton

That's one way, but here's how I did it on the Arcade diorama:

Cut the styrene slats to the width of your window.  I used 1-1/2" lengths of .010" x .080".

Make a simple wood jig to drill uniform holes for the cord.  I used a .027" bit:

Also drill the same holes in the top (.060" x .080") and bottom (.030" x .080") pieces.
Glue lengths of .025" styrene rod into the holes in the .060" x .080" piece:

Stack the slats onto the two rods:

This step will make positioning the slats a LOT easier.  Tape the unit to strips of wood so
the slats will be able to slide freely up and down the rod:

Slide the slats into position and glue them in place with liquid glue:

When you get towards the end, glue the bottom piece where you want it and adjust the
remaining slats to go with the flow.  Remember, when blinds are pulled, the slats will
start to bunch up at the bottom:

Next, cut the strip-things (I have no idea what they're called).  I cut mine
from alcohol-impregnated Lens Wipe tissues.  They're thin, but stronger than regular tissue:

The strip-things were glued to the slats over the rod with "GOO", many favorite glue.  
For the lower slats, work the strips down between the slat with tweezers:

Trim it all up and there you go:

This sequence didn't address painting or weathering, but the slats should
probably be painted before assembly.

There you have it.  Quick and easy.....
Thanks for looking.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

W.P. Rayner

Well I'm glad to see no vitriolic acid is involved... ;)

Very simple and effective Ken... thanks for posting the SBS. This is one definitely worth saving for future reference.

Paul

finescalerr

The era I model predates blinds. Too bad. I loved them and your description. -- Russ

Frederic Testard

This is a great tutorial, Ken. The method looks easy if one works seriously. Thanks for sharing.
Frederic Testard

Malachi Constant

Nyuck-nyuck!  Great start ... great finish.  Thanks so much for posting such a clear and straightforward approach to what some of us could make into a rather complicated problem!  Look forward to trying it. -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

SandiaPaul

Nice! What is that great looking tweezer in one of the pics and where do you get one like it?

Paul
Paul

Philip Smith

Nice SBS.

What year were those invented?

Philip

eTraxx

Slatted blinds have existed for centuries. Ancient Eqyptians made blinds from reeds, while the Chinese used strips of bamboo. The true story of Venetian blinds' invention is unknown, but most experts date the first examples from around 1760. Early Venetian blinds were made of 2-inch wood slats suspended along cloth ribbons.

Venetian blinds quickly gained popularity both in homes and public buildings. St. Peter's Church in Philadelphia covered its windows with Venetian blinds in 1761, and illustrations of Independence Hall also show Venetian blinds. The RCA Building (today the GE Building) in New York City became the first large commercial building in the United States to use Venetian blinds after it opened in the early 1930s.

Venetian blinds reached peak popularity in the United States in the 1930s. In 1936, manufacturers in New York put $210 million worth of the shades on the market. The blinds were made of wood or metal in a wide range of colors and used in homes and businesses.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Ray Dunakin

Great SBS, thanks for posting! Looks like a pretty easy build. I may try those on one of my buildings.

Anyone know when they came into common use in the US?

(Edit: I see this question has been answered already -- thanks.)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World