• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Metal roofing

Started by Junior, January 16, 2011, 04:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Hey guys,

Have been trying to find ribbed and corrugated metal roofing for my upcoming 1/35 scale project without any luck. Could somebody point me in the right direction please.
Builders In Scale have a good selection in 1/48 scale. Would the difference in scale be too obvious?

Anders ??? ??? ???

darrylhuffman

Get some Evergreen board and batten siding.

Lay some aluminum foil from one of the disposable turkey roasting pans onto the siding.

Push an old ball point pen along the grooves and you will have tons of corrugated siding.

I can't tell you the size board and batten as I don't speak 1/35th.

I haven't bought O scale corrugated siding in 20 years.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

shropshire lad

I use Builders in Scale O Scale roofing sheets for roofs in 1/35th scale and find them perfectly acceptable . Of course , I only did so after seeing that Marc used them as well .

You might be interested to know that Stoney Creek Designs has taken over the range of corrugated roofing formerly produced by Sodders Industries after the sad death of the owner of that company . I can't comment on how good it is now that Roger Malinowski is making it , but when it was made by Sodders it was very good . However , knowing Roger's work I don't expect the quality to be any less .

Nick

finescalerr

If you build a press (and I have offered to send the article more than once but nobody seems to download it until he needs it) you can make the roof from any material you want. Note Darryl's post above. -- Russ

Philip Smith

Quote from: Junior on January 16, 2011, 04:56:55 AM
Hey guys,

Have been trying to find ribbed and corrugated metal roofing for my upcoming 1/35 scale project without any luck. Could somebody point me in the right direction please.
Builders In Scale have a good selection in 1/48 scale. Would the difference in scale be too obvious?

Anders ??? ??? ???

I know the corregated prototype is 24" wide with 20 valleys in the width. There is a motherlode of info somewhere on this site that Marc contributed a while back. I like the old 5v pattern......

Junior

Thanks very much guys I´m all set now. Great tutorial on how to make your own material.

Anders ;D

Chuck Doan

I used BIS O scale corrugated on my 1/2" scale porch and it looked OK to me. I just pulled it a bit to increase the spacing.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

jcoop0001

As a total newb, I would like more info on the "Press"

Thanks
John

marc_reusser

On this page there is a link in the top post to a thread on a german forum of how someone went about making a press....the posts tha follow show a press that I cobbled together out of styrene to make corrugated roofing pieces (but due the project constraints/reqiurements, I used paper instead of aluminum in the press)...

...which yeilded the following end results (I intentionally creased and bent them.)

Rick Marty,  made quite a fancy press for the corrugated roofing he used on his beautiful Marion Shovel. You can see it at the bottom of this page in his thread http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=693.240.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Quote from: Junior on January 16, 2011, 04:56:55 AM
Hey guys,

Anders ??? ??? ???

Anders,

I used 1/48 Builders In Scale corrugated for the roof on this 1/35 project, and IMO, and it seems to work just fine.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Per Olav Lund

Hi

Made this simple jig from styrene years ago, works ok....

I use thin metal and press it between the two plates.

Per Olav

Junior

Marc, that paper looks great for corrugated roofing in fairly good condition. For Radio Shack etched roofing I will stick to metal.  ;)

Per Olav, where do you get the sheet metal and what thickness do you use?

Thanks,

Anders ;D

Per Olav Lund

Quote from: Junior on January 19, 2011, 04:38:50 AM

Per Olav, where do you get the sheet metal and what thickness do you use?

I use the metal from the small boxes you use for storing food, not sure about the thikness.

Per Olav

shropshire lad

Anders ,

I have bought a 300mm x 0.1mm x 1m roll of soft aluminium foil for less than £10.00 from Alec Tiranti in the UK . Website is www.tiranti.co.uk . You will find it in the metal foils sub division of the Restoration and Finishing section . I'm sure they would send some to you if you can't find any locally .

Nick

Junior

Nick, sounds great will check it out. Thanks! Kind of nice roof here on a local barn.

Anders ;D