• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Leather ?

Started by Gordon Ferguson, November 21, 2010, 05:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Afternoon,

I am in the process of building a 7/8ths critter (1/13) and need to provide it with a "well worn leather seat"

I have modified a kit seat, with standard alterations, soften up seat cushions odd tear, etc  but am now trying to get a satisfactory leather finish. I would add that I  gave the surface a rough sand with sandpaper and deliberately left some of the sanding scratches to add to the surface texture.

I would like to tell you in detail all the various steps i have done so far but I am not as organised as some in this forum but roughly this is what I remember doing ........

Dark red base , brushed out oil paint, Burnt Umber  left to dry and then sealed with dullcoat , sponged on highlights of Burnt Sienna, again left to dry and sealed. It has then had various steps of oil glazes, etc, etc
Have also added some highlights of the Ranger crackle paint ........ i was trying to show that worn cracked look I think you get on old leather.

I was looking for a sheen rather than a shine and again tried various glazes mixtures of varnishes but none looked right to me ....... finally gave it a coat of dullcoat and then buffed surface with my finger tips which has given it a soft sheen on the higher surfaces.

Grateful if anybody could give me feedback and what they do to simulate leather in the larger scales, I have traditionally used inks as glazes in the smaller scales  but that technique does not seem to work for me in this size

Gordon

marc_reusser

I think it looks splendid.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

They look great... the cracking is a nice touch. All that's missing is some horse hair...  ;)

Paul

marc_reusser

Quote from: Roughboy on November 21, 2010, 10:34:39 PM
All that's missing is some horse hair...  ;)

I have an idea for what to use for that.. ;) ;D ;D

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on November 21, 2010, 10:46:00 PM
Quote from: Roughboy on November 21, 2010, 10:34:39 PM
All that's missing is some horse hair...  ;)

I have an idea for what to use for that.. ;) ;D ;D

M

Marc ,

Would you use "gathered" or "freshly plucked" ? And does the slap in the face hurt for long ? ! ?

Nick

Frederic Testard

It's wonderful. I once used true leather to model a derelict truck seat, but while I liked the texture the cracks pattern was too big. How did you alter the seat to give it its worn look?
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

You know how old, dry leather sometimes cracks? Maybe that crackle paint some of you guys have been messing with could also represent dried out leather. -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

"Have also added some highlights of the Ranger crackle paint ........ i was trying to show that worn cracked look I think you get on old leather."

Russ .....Is it me or is it you  ::) ::)

Frederic

Not sure if I am answering the right question, the seat was first locally heated underneath with a small flame to soften the plastic which was then pushed in from the top to give some of the sagging. After that it was given a hard sand with coarse sandpaper, leaving some of the scratches on the surface so that the subsequent paint picked this detail up 
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Just to close this thread down before we all go off on wild goose chases or should that be horse chases ....

Local horse was friendly and willing to help!

Gordon

Andi Little

Excellent Gordon...........

It looks all the better again for being mounted. I particularly like the way it appears that the leather has stretched leaving it loose against an apparently compressed stuffing - both the back and the seat - very good.

All told a really nice piece of modelling............................... just got to get you to do it in a proper scale now! - [winky smiley thing]!!
KBO..................... Andi.

Ray Dunakin

That looks just about perfect! The little bit of exposed stuffing really makes the whole thing "work".

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World