• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New inexpensive 3D modeling software

Started by SandiaPaul, June 03, 2010, 02:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandiaPaul

I just noticed that these guys not have a "hobby" version of their software:

http://www.alibre.com/products/hobby/

Might be something to check out for the print a part crowd.
Paul

mobilgas

Under 100 bucks for a hobby program sounds good ;)  Just wondering how much power or what you would need to use it on your home computer??? Or once you bought the program how much more money it would cost to use it at Home?  Not a computer guy  :(  Just wondering, dont know if im asking the right questions.     Craig

LLIAXTEP

GMAX is absolutely free, and has great capabilities. I probably know 15% and it is enough for modeling needs.
Although they might have considerable differences, you should look into it.

Alex

finescalerr

Depending on your needs or tastes, Marc has been doing a sporadic tutorial on SketchUp. It's free, too. Since we have a resident genius, it would seem logical to start with SU and graduate to a different program if SketchUp is clumsy or limited. -- Russ

SandiaPaul

I have been using Autodesk Inventor for years and a little bit of Solidworks. After getting laid off in April I have lost my access to these systems, and all of my parts I have made over the years. To compensate for this I coughed up the bucks for Alibre Professional which I am trying to learn now.  Alibre is a very decent package for the money, the mainstream products are WAY out of my spending limit.  I just happen to notice that they now have a "hobby" version.  I have not compared the hobby version to the "pro" one but it seems like it is the same interface they have just eliminated some of the functions.

I thought for those that want a decent solid modeler that this might be another option.  I have never used SU so can't really compare...

One note: NEVER keep 5 years of personal work on your work computer! :(
Paul

finescalerr

I have the opposite problem: 20 years of work on my PERSONAL computer!! -- Russ

RoughboyModelworks

I've mentioned this several times before, but here goes again... Ashlar Vellum Cobalt is an excellent application too, though pricey. They do have a student version available for considerably less and I believe a yearly rental program which can reduce the cost significantly. I've found it to be an excellent application, much more powerful than SU.

Paul

DaKra

I'm looking at this Alibre because its inexpensive and seems to be good for small part manufacture, too.   Anyone with experience care to comment?

Dave

clevermod01

Wile i haven't used it, i have watched the tutorials and looked over the interface and I have to say it looks quite good. From what I can see $99. is a great price. I'll likely pick it up.

Thom

clevermod01

PS.   It occurred to me that I never made my background known. Just for those who don't know. I use a half dozen different modeling programs and teach 3d at two respected colleges.

searoom

Are any of these available in Mac as well as PC platforms?

sd80mac

I've been using Alibre exclusively since 2005. It is an excellent program capable of doing most everything that many of the more expensive platforms can do. $99 is a steal for what you get in Alibre. I paid over $700 for version 9.1 when I bought it in '05, and upgraded to version 12.1 last year for $99. So, you get everything I got for only $99! STEAL!!!

Quote from: DaKra on January 16, 2011, 09:46:10 AM
I'm looking at this Alibre because its inexpensive and seems to be good for small part manufacture, too.   Anyone with experience care to comment?

Dave

78ths

QuoteAre any of these available in Mac as well as PC platforms?
Viacad is the only one I know of that is available on both Apple and PC and you can swap the files without having to import dxf etc... that is more handy than one realizes as most other dual platform software will not open the others file.
It is also priced under 100$
cheers
Ferd Mels  Ontario Canada    eh!
SE Scale - all other scales pale by comparison.  7/8"=1'-0"
www.78ths.com