• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:13.7 (7/8ths ) projects

Started by Gordon Ferguson, February 10, 2011, 01:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Morning, having seen some of the great 1/87 modelling being done thought it was about time I showed some stuff that was a bit bigger  .............. and I'm sure Marc will love the scale ratio, its nicely weird.

I am building a static, probably, model of the loco and skips used on the Thakeham Tiles railway. This was an extremely large industrial line ....... in its final form it was all of 100 yards long moving sand from hoppers to a small manufacturing plant producing building blocks, etc.

The photos show in descending order;-

1.one of the locos used, a modified Hudson Hunslet 20HP build around 1941

2. An origonal loco

3. The base chassis, which I will probably use as a master for resin casting as I think I will build several of these.

4. Shot of the real chassis, this was a one piece casting with the thickness varying from 1" to 4"

More to follow shortly
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Follow up;-

1. Master axle box, which again will be cast in resin. Since this photo I have fiddled with the lettering and sorted out the "N" and the spacing issue. (oh and the nuts on the top are being replaced, with proper ones)

2. Basis skip chassis, its an inside frame hence the narrowness, channel frame made from plastic. The wheels whilst the right size are the wrong design ......... I will make my own ribbed and with 6 holes.

3. The first of 2 skips required, this one still needs further detailing before going on to the paint shop.
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Shaping up nicely!  Looks like you're taking proper advantage of the larger scale, as evidenced by the wonderful detailing on the journal box.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Brilliant! Great scratching as usual Gordon....look forward to more.

How did you shape/form the 4 tapered braces/supports on the skip?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Hi Marc,

The "pedestals" .... think that is what they are called are in the origonal formed out of a one piece pressing and I was keen to try and capture that look. Tried casting ..... failed , vacuum moulding ..... failed so this is the third try.

for the triangular vertical support .....its a bit technical .... 20 thou plastic card bent around a piece of ply which was the correct thickness and bend set by pouring boiling water over bend.The plastic springs back a little but in this case that was useful as pressings don't usually press plates at 90 degrees but more at 95 ish to allow extraction of master. Trimmed to shape and then cemented to glued to flat plates to represent the horizontal and vertical pieces. When dry the backs of the vertical and horizontal plates were cut out in line with the inside edges of the vertical support.

Hopefully the pictures will show what I mean and make sense of the above.

One point is worth mentioning, these supports were normally used on standard outside framed skips (like yours) and were cut down around the bottom edges to fit the narrow frame used here  ...... I will post a picture later to show the origonal.
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

This is the clearest picture I have for the skip ends - not the greatest quality as its scanned and blown up from a black & white illustration.
Gordon

Krusty

QuoteThis is the clearest picture I have for the skip ends - not the greatest quality as its scanned and blown up from a black & white illustration

FWIW the standard (610mm) gauge version:
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"