• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

want to try larger scale but which one?

Started by SandiaPaul, February 18, 2011, 03:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandiaPaul

Hi,

I have not done much modeling in recent years, but have been inspired by all the work here, esp. the great Playland piece by Mr. Hamilton.  I have had similar ideas kicking around in my head for years.

I'd like to try something in a larger scale, but I have never done anything bigger than 1:48(not counting live steam, but that is a different animal!)

I really like what Ken has done with the Playland thing and it seems about right the right size...or should I go bigger?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul
Paul

Malachi Constant

Paul --

I think you'll have to give us some more info to get any really useful suggestions.  What sort of thing/things do you wish to model?  Buildings, vehicles, etc?  And what sort of "essentials" do you hope to find already available?  (Like figures, etc.) 

There is a tremendous selection of items available in 1:24 scale, from the model railroad hobby, dollhouse hobby and scale auto hobby.  Ken, Chuck and many others have done beautiful work in that scale, and the assortment of "goodies" and details provides many more opportunities for a "jumping in" point ...

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

DaKra

The ultimate scale for miniature interiors is 1/12, because the dollhouse people have figured it out already.  Just about any interior detail you'd want, there is a tutorial or commercial product to make it.    Plus you can associate with the dollhouse ladies on their forums, and they have cake and cookies  ;D

Dave

Chuck Doan

You should also consider how much space something will take up, and what you will do with it after. Dave Revilla recently showed a beautiful 1/16th scale halftrack model that was about 18" long. I would need a new workbench to fit something like that.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32480
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Frederic Testard

Clearly, Chuck's comment is to be seriously considered.
I understand that your large scale models are about 1' large, Chuck.
But I would willingly follow Dave's advice, not for the cake and cookies, but because there are some tremendously looking 1/12th models of interiors. I remember a picture of an old fashioned classroom that was a chef d'oeuvre.
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Two things tend to dictate scale: Model size (vs. available display space) and the commercial availability of parts. If you can scratchbuild everything, the latter becomes moot.

So, for structures, an "ideal" large scale could range from 1:35/1:32 to 1:12. For railroad cars and locos, 1:20.3 scale (about 5/8-inch = 1 foot) is plenty big and has the advantage of a lot of detail castings. Vehicle scales are similar to those for structures.

Your question is unspecific but it might be worth considering one point: 1:35/1:32 is the smallest "large scale" and it is possible to include virtually all the detail of the other large scales. So, if display space is a consideration, that scale might be ideal.

Russ

narrowgauger

couple of factors to take into consideration:

time:
exponential need for detail:

there is a balance between size of model and the amount of time & detail it will soak up.  if you are happy with a model that sort of looks OK, ala most of the G15 stuff, large scales will not take a great deal more effort compared to (say) 1:48.  Howver by virtue of the fact that you are a member of this forum it is assumed that you would be looking for intrinsic high level of detail.  That being the case 1:24, 1:20 and larger will involve a significant amount of time for individual models whilst no "short cuts" can be taken with any details.

I also believe that there is a need to use commercial components where appropriate, even if such are only used as a base for conversion.  This particularly applies to figures and ancillaries, such as vehicles. 

also keep in mind that if the model is to operate on track, the radius & scale requirements of the very large scale will demand considerable real estate in order to avoid the toy-like appearance due to excessively small radii etc.

taking all this into account, I reinforce Russ's view that there is a great deal of merit in looking seriously at 1:35 scale.  This scale provides an opportunity for exceptional detail, whilst supported by a very wide range of commercial ancillary products.  If you take this a step further this scale also allows 600mm gauge industrial railways to be incorporated where very tight radii, sharp turnouts and small loco's were the order of the day.  The military modelling sector provides a wealth of material all at low costs, that can readily be converted to "civilian" use thus further expanding the scope.

Hope this hasn't further confused the decision

have fun

Bernard

Ken Hamilton

All good points, especially the ones regarding size - vs - detail.

Another thing I've noticed about changing scales is the mindset required to work in a particular size.
It takes me a while to acclimate to the size I happen to be building in if I've changed scale since the
last project.  That's probably not a big issue but I always find it interesting when it happens.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all,
For a graphic on the size issue in larger scales take this example.
I am currently building a little car barn out on the line to hold sixteen 1:20.3 scale freight cars. The car barn is 2.5 feet wide 8'-6" long and almost 2 foot high. 

What would the same 16 car barn be in 1:35 scale??  A guess here, maybe 12-16 inches wide by 3 feet long by 12 inches high???
I'm sure someone will jump in with the exact measurements, I can't see anything that small :D

Later
Rick

narrowgauger

Hi Rick

based on your scale dimension the Car Barn would be:

1.45 foot ( 17 inches) wide
4.9 feet (59 inches) long and
7 inches high.

which collectively is still a lot of real estate, even in 1:35 scale.

have fun

Bernard

SandiaPaul

Thanks for the ideas...I'm thinking mainly structures and interiors with a lot of detail.
Can anyone direct me to a site that has quality 1" scale stuff, most of what I have turned up is pretty toylike.

thanks again,

Paul
Paul