• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Gregg Companys' Confluente 12 Ton Sugar Cane Car

Started by MT Hopper, January 16, 2011, 12:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

I went back and looked at the original pic and top rail you posted, and interestingly that is the top rail design found on the Gregg "Side Unloading" cars.......yet in your image the stakes are fixed and riveted like on the top unloading cars (note also in your image the vertical flange is only on one side in your image...this is common of the side unloading cars).   I could not find any top unloading car that matched the top detail in your image.....most curious.....I wonder if the illustrator had an "off" day, or liquid lunch, when he drew it.....or it could be  a car that's not in the catalog such as one that was custom fabricated for a specific client (this was a common thing for companies like Gregg to do).

Other than that top rail (and Gregg logo) the car in your image is pretty much a dead ringer for the "Car #2" I posted above.

M

M-Works

MT Hopper

Thank you VERY much for the catalogue cuts Marc. Despite the original cut with the rectangular Z top rail, all the photos I have seen of rubbished old Cuban cane cars, have in fact appeared to have an L shaped top rail. I'll go with the custom car theory followed by the liquid lunch. Again merci beaucoup Msr Marc.

Cheers
Will
From the Heart of the Continent

marc_reusser

I have seen many photos of the Cuban cars with the "Z" rail as well.....but I believe they were all side unloading...some were being used as top unloading cars. .....regardless, I look forward to seeing your build; cane cars have been a long-time favorite of mine.

What scale are you planning to build in?

Marc

M-Works

MT Hopper

Hello Marc. Thanks again for you efforts. In reply to your question, O scale. I am tempted to also try it in 1-35th so my abuilding Gemeinder has something to pull but then I'd have to fudge the gauge down from 30 inch to 24 inch so I am more than hesitant about the latter scale.

Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will
From the Heart of the Continent