• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

So how do you store your tools?

Started by W.P. Rayner, February 02, 2011, 10:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

Image below is of the magnificent tool chest created by Henry O. Studley in the late 19th century. Mr. Studley was a piano maker and a member of the Masonic order (Freemasonry symbols appear in the chest) and built the chest over a period of thirty years while working for the Poole Piano Company in Quincy, Mass. Fine Woodworking first published photos of the chest in 1988 when it went on display at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. The chest now resides in a private collection. I don't know how many of you have seen this, so for those who haven't, it's well worth a closer look. More photos and info on the chest are published on the Roughboy site.

Paul

Ray Dunakin

That is stunning, and a great collection of tools as well.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

chester

As a woodworker and collector of wood working tools, I am deeply impressed with this wonderful display. I wonder however, how much time working on a box to hold one's tools has taken away from using them to make a living. Sorry, it always boils down to making the almighty dollar eh?

Malachi Constant

The case & arrangement of tools is a work of art in itself ...

Meanwhile, I'll just settle for plastic drawers, metal drawers, cardboard boxes and tin pencil cups.  Oh well.  ::)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

From the days when you first looked at a tradesman's tool box before deciding to hire him. Back when a craftman had full control over his tools.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mobilgas

I have all my hobby tools in cheap plastic holders i got at a office supply store that are used for organizing  drawers and.............. shoe-boxes  ;D ;D
Craig

NE Brownstone

That would make a great motivational poster for organization.

The tools even look unused.  I wonder if the guy put all that effort into it then died, never to use it.

I think I'd have to hang it up on the wall so all of my friends could see it.
Russ
The other, other Russ

lab-dad

modeling tools are in a drawer beneath the workbench
Woodworking tools look like this;

W.P. Rayner

Nicely done Marty. I note you have a good collection of planes there...

Paul

JESTER

I'm finally reorganizing my garage. I bought some cabinets and drawers etc. I'll post pics once it's done. Here's my old workshop.

-

Malachi Constant

Found these neat little containers at Ikea ... work well for organizing Vallejo & Reaper paints ... each container holds 30 bottles.  Item is KRUS #601.182.14 ... label shown with photos below.

Nominal dimensions 9x6x4".  They fit neatly on a shallow bookcase intended for CDs & DVDS ...

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

chester

Being in the shop most of the time means I want easy access to my woodworking tools so hanging them in plain sight is my preferred method of storage. The old fart with the big hands is yours truly.

JESTER

Quote from: Malachi Constant on February 21, 2011, 02:18:05 PM
Found these neat little containers at Ikea ... work well for organizing Vallejo & Reaper paints ... each container holds 30 bottles.  Item is KRUS #601.182.14 ... label shown with photos below.

Good find! I've been using cardboard coffee boxes I get from work. Being able to see into the box would be great!

-

finescalerr