• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

An Ugly Old Lady

Started by BKLN, February 25, 2012, 07:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKLN

Last summer I started a little project called "Hot Bird". The building is a ugly old tenement, but it got its name from the big yellow ads for a BBQ joint called "Hot Bird". The original building stood on Vanderbilt Ave in Brooklyn and has been torn down in early 2011 to make room for a parking lot for the controversial new "Atlantic Yards" arena for the "Brooklyn Nets".

The building was not pretty, but it's fate is symbolic for the recent developments in the neighborhood. Because of the bright yellow ads it was an odd landmark in the neighborhood. Long after the other houses on the block were knocked down, "Hot Bird" stood tall and lonely in a field of rubble.

I am on the finishing stretch with this project, but I will post a couple of SBS pictures to illustrate the process. (Please excuse the image quality, I just don't have the room and light to set up for perfect photos)

The north side wall was built from the wonderful Walthers Parkview kit. I shortened the length of the wall by about 20ft. - I am not a nut counter, my main goal is to capture the feel and mood of a building).

BKLN

The seams in the brick were filled and re-carved in the correct brick pattern. A coat of rust colored primer is the foundation for the brick painting. And then the fun of painting bricks began.

BKLN

Here you can see the walls finally together. I the front wall was lasercut by Dave of VectorCut. As usual he did an outstanding job. Without his help, a project like this would have been impossible to do.

Mobilgas

Christian,    The colors on the one wall your showing painted looks good ;D :) could you show a better shot of the painted wall?
Craig

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Cool project. That "Hot Bird" sign is eye-catching.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ken Hamilton

Great looking building, Christian.  The brick work is terrific.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

BKLN

Thank you for the compliments. It is indeed HO scale, and yes - it is an eye catcher (of the "special" kind). For a graphic designer it's more of an eye sore: the type design is just terrible. Today, I printed the decals for the side walls and they look just weird, but not because I messed them up - no, they were wrong to begin with, hehe.

okiecrip

that is really goin to be a cool bldg. :)
gary wise

marc_reusser

That is really neat. I love that you tackle these large structures, especially with your attention to detail and workmanship.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Junior

This will be a fantastic building and I know that for a fact as I have seen your previous dioramas. Great to see you back here Christian!

Anders