• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

planing styrene

Started by michael mott, July 31, 2011, 09:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael mott

Hi I have spent quite a while going through a lot of the tips in this section and thought that this might be a useful method for getting sharp clean edges on sheet or strip styrene or other plastics, this method is old hat for woodworking. This video http://www.vimeo.com/19576415 shows in a short time what would take a long time to explain. the key to using this method is a very sharp plane and an adjustable opening in front of the blade. I have posted links to this before on a couple of other forums and I know that some of you have seen it before, so for those who have not seen it I hope it is useful, and just one more way of working with plastic.
This method removes the additional plastic much faster than sanding and there is no warping or melting due to heat build up.

regards Michael

W.P. Rayner

Nifty short video Michael. Agree with you, shooting boards are an invaluable tool in the workshop. As you say the critical point is that the plane iron has to be VERY sharp. A lower cutting angle on the blade than would be used for wood would also help in slicing rather than tearing the styrene. The geometry between the shooting board platen and the plane iron is important, especially if you're trying to cut your stock square.

Paul

Philip Smith

Indeed a nice method. Keeps the stock sq. Thanks for sharing!

Philip

nk

That is a great tip. Thanks for posting. Looks like it belongs on the deli counter!
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/