• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Tampa Area Model Museum

Started by Carlo, February 09, 2012, 11:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

I visited the Finescale Modeling Museum last week, and Dave Revelia and his gang were very kind to show me around.
I am going to share some pictures here, and the first set is of 1:6 scale military figures, done by an Italian
modeler (I forgot his name... sorry). They are very detailed, and have realistic expressions.

The museum is having an opening this weekend, and details are at    http://www.finescalemodeling.org/

Carlo Spirito

Carlo

Here's another 1:6 scale military figure from the  the Finescale Museum.
The museum is having an opening this weekend, and details are at    http://www.finescalemodeling.org/

Carlo Spirito

finescalerr

The first guy seems to have a particular talent for skin tones. Both also do wonderful work on clothing.

Other random thoughts:

I have wondered since grad school about the appeal of war and instruments of destruction as a modeling genre. Tanks and half tracks and cannons do have a mechanical and functional charisma and I guess many of us, including me, think they are cool. And great modeling is great no matter what the subject. But why didn't a hobby of modeling workmen with bulldozers and cranes and dump trucks develop as much appeal as one where Americans and Germans blow up buildings ... or each other?

Does anyone else think that's odd?

Dave Revelia really deserves credit for trying to change the perception of fine modeling from a quaint pastime to recognition as an art form. For those who don't know Dave, he's not a big talker; he's a do-er.

Russ

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the pics! I hope to see more of Dave's museum. We once had one in L.A., the MOM (museum of miniatures). It was a neat idea and had some beautiful stuff. 

I have often wondered why the German war machine is the most modeled, especially in Europe. Weren't they the bad guys?  Probably could start a whole topic on that.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

greenie

Quote from: finescalerr on February 09, 2012, 12:23:52 PM

Russ

With-out starting a flaming war  ( no pun intended )  I have to agree with Russ, that it is very odd to "deal in death" all the time.

Sorry, but I spent years in the army and NO WAY, could I ever bring myself to make a model of anything on this subject.

My thoughts only, nothing to do with the management of this site, who I must thank, for bringing together such a vast array of talented modellers, with a majority of them who have NO INTEREST at all in " dealing in death ", which, does make it a very interesting site to visit.

regards  greenie.

Carlo

OK, here are some non-military models, in 1:20.3 scale.
A partly disassembled  Cat...
Carlo

Carlo

OK, here are some non-military models, in 1:20.3 scale.
A working Cat, and a paddle-wheel boat from Austrailia ...
Carlo

Carlo

Finally, here are is a "room box" in 1" scale, depicting an artist's studio.
Lot's of junk and clutter...
Carlo

Gordon Ferguson

Carlo, thanks for posting these pics ....................... how about a few more details of that Cat !!!
Gordon

eTraxx

Quote from: gfadvance on February 09, 2012, 03:14:25 PM
Carlo, thanks for posting these pics ....................... how about a few more details of that Cat !!!
That's on the Sundance Central
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Carlo

Yes, the Cats and machine shop were on the "Sundance Central", a giant 1:20.3 modular layout with a western logging theme.
This is the centerpiece of the museum, and permanent home of the layout.. There are also several "framed scenery boxes" from
Australia, and the boat is on the southern bayou logging-themed modular layout "Muskrat Ramble" (in On30?).
Sorry for the lost details. I'm an old F@*T and my memory is not what it used to be. ???  ;)
Carlo

danpickard

Thanks for sharing the pics of the centre Carlo.
The "framed scenery boxes" are some of Geoff Nott's work, who was also the modeller behind the swamp and waterfront sections of that Muskrat Ramble layout (also from Australia).  The Muskrat layout is apparently to go on rotation with our Dolly Varden layout every few months.

As for the military thing, I just try to look past the depth of the subject and appreciate the actual modelling work.  I guess from a military modellers perspective (which I'm not), military and war has been a significant part of world history, so in a way, its a fairly subject that has a bit of presence (as it, its around us).  Some of the rather graphic and violent scenes maybe push the taste boundry a bit, but each to their own I guess.

Cheers,
Dan

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on February 09, 2012, 12:23:52 PM
The first guy seems to have a particular talent for skin tones. Both also do wonderful work on clothing.

Other random thoughts:

I have wondered since grad school about the appeal of war and instruments of destruction as a modeling genre. Tanks and half tracks and cannons do have a mechanical and functional charisma and I guess many of us, including me, think they are cool. And great modeling is great no matter what the subject. But why didn't a hobby of modeling workmen with bulldozers and cranes and dump trucks develop as much appeal as one where Americans and Germans blow up buildings ... or each other?

Dave Revelia really deserves credit for trying to change the perception of fine modeling from a quaint pastime to recognition as an art form. For those who don't know Dave, he's not a big talker; he's a do-er.

Russ

Interesting tought. In my opinion, all models romanticizes their subject to some degree. This is not so obvious with models of railroads and construction equipment, even if you could easily argue that for instance the logging railroads are not only cute and photogenic, but also played a big part in laying waste to a lot of North Americas forests.

Those 1/6 figures are interesting. The craftmanship is excellent, the skill of the modeller impressing. But in my book they are dolls. The texture of the textiles, the slightly oversize zippers all add to this.  This is not neccesarily negative, but it gives the work a sinister touch. Men trained and equipped to kill each other masked  as innocent childrens toys.

The strange thing is what makes people cry out is when the military modellers try to show the real truth about war. It is considered tasteless to include bodies, skeletons or blood in dioramas. But when someone portrays the invasion of Poland as literally a picnic, nobody seems bothered.

I find that the most interesting military dioramas are those that *are* a bit disturbing. Like these ones:

(Picture quoted from http://andreik2.com/id13.html)

http://www.jbadiorama.com/the_womb.php
(this one have been discussed here before, I think)

Regards, Hauk

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past