• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Help or Information

Started by Gordon Ferguson, March 13, 2012, 03:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

I am getting way, way ahead of myself but I will need some information on the ore car shown in the attached .......... circa 19932, Baltimore,

I know nothing about American railways, and very little about UK one either  ;) so if anybody could give me some idea of general dimensions or a lead to a drawing of this sort of car it would be great ............. I am not looking to produce a rivet perfect model so any drawing of something close to this would be great.

Thanks for any assistance  
Gordon

shropshire lad

Looks like they had to alter the doorway to get the damn thing in .

Can't help you any further . Sorry ,

?

NORCALLOGGER

hmmmm, strange looking ore car.  Looks more like a rolling dumpster. 
Are they taking ore in or taking rubble out?
Rick

Ray Dunakin

Sure is an interesting ore car, or whatever it is.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

granitechops

Interesting, looks like it would need a robust track to run on, could be carrying around 12 tons?  
Don in sunny Devon, England

Gordon Ferguson

Don, caption says its is loaded with 70,000 lbs of "chrome" ore
Gordon

marklayton

The Baltimore Chrome Works sat along the Patapsco River, between today's Inner Harbor and Fells Point.  It was owned by Allied Chemical when it shut down in the mid '70s.  It's been an EPA Superfund clean-up site, loaded with nasty heavy metal residue, sitting empty and capped for years.  There's now talk of developing the prime waterfront land for office space for the newly-formed power utility megacorporation.

You might try the Maryland Historical Society site for more pictures - no guarantees, but they do have an on-line collection that has some industrial photos from the '30s-'50s.  I once found a picture taken inside the building where my old blacksmith shop was located, showing men grinding flash from railroad car truck bearing boxes.

Of course this car is not a railroad car as such.  More likely used to haul ore from crusher to smelter within the works.  You can approximate the dimensions from the man standing beside it.  Wonder what they pushed it with?

Mark Layton
He who dies with the most tools wins.

granitechops

Quote from: gfadvance on March 14, 2012, 03:11:02 AM
Don, caption says its is loaded with 70,000 lbs of "chrome" ore

Wow, 31 tons? without the weight of the wagon
which is possibly pushing 10 tons empty
probably a special heavy rail profile
as it looks like its ony got 2 axles 20 tons per axle
IIRC 'standard' gauge loadings are not much more than 10 tons per axle

granitechops

Mark, they may have possibly used cables to winch them?
like used in some Cornish China clay facilities

marklayton

Doesn't shed any new light on the ore car, but I found a photo that I took c. 1980 from Lancaster Street in Baltimore, looking towards the Allied Chrome Works.  Gives a sense of the scale of the place.  Didn't record the same of the vessel sitting in the mud.  Not a well-exposed image.  If I recall, made those shots right after getting my first SLR, a Canon A-1.

Mark Layton
He who dies with the most tools wins.

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks Mark, it is always good to get some additional info even of a general nature for a project ........ And that boat looks interesting
Gordon