• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Does this have modelling potential?

Started by mad gerald, April 26, 2012, 01:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad gerald

G'evening all,

these sketches are heavily influenced by a childrens TV series ("Der kleine Prinz") and show kinda spherical housings and a special, more technical housing, which are mounted on a pole and can be moved up and down by gear wheels on a cograil (integrated in the pole) to escape giant tidal waves, which happen from time to time at the location where the story takes place ...

I'm almost mad enough to think about, if they would have the potential to be modelled and arranged in a diorama similar to dioramas Ma.K related ... these housings are not armoured, but they could be, with i. e. anti hovertank guns or similar weapons ...  ::)

The main challenge seems to be modelling the spheres ... I've got absolutely no idea, if any usual in trade item would match the prototype ...  ???

What do you think: Does this have modelling potential? Suggestions for a source for (hollow) spheres made from kinda plastic?

Cheers

granitechops

Dont know what scale your thinking about, but the first sphere that comes to mind is the ball float in a water cistern
domestic ones are about 4 ins or 100 mm aprox
Don in sunny Devon, England

finescalerr

Almost anything has modeling potential. Our job is to determine what we can render most artistically. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Quote from: mad gerald on April 26, 2012, 01:42:02 PM
The main challenge seems to be modelling the spheres ... I've got absolutely no idea, if any usual in trade item would match the prototype ...  ???

Yes ... lots of modeling potential there ... and, somehow, I like the idea of rendering the scene in black and white ...

Spheres?  Easy ... go to the toy shop, the sporting goods shop, collect various cheap balls of the desired size ...

For the rings around the spheres, check the web for a "circle cutter" ... there are MANY different styles, ranging from very cheap to rather expensive.  A fairly cheap one will do the job if you cut the rings from card stock ...  ;)

So, the spheres and rings should be easy ... and then you can go crazy with all the little details from there!  ;D

BTW, I struggled to understand that "simple" children's story when I studied French ... now that I have the idea, I might be able to follow along in German.  Looks like a really nice visualization of the story in that show ...

Have fun!
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

How big would the model be? You can get hemispherical plastic domes up to 6" wide from Plastruct.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mad gerald

G'evening all,

Quote from: granitechops on April 26, 2012, 02:22:53 PM
... Dont know what scale your thinking about ...

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on April 28, 2012, 11:05:32 AM
How big would the model be? ...

... um,well ... I guess you spotted at least one weak point ... following the story, these spherical housings are family homes ... Almost impossible to convert it in a scale like 1/35 or even 1/22,5 or 1/20 respectively ...  :o

On the other side I'd prefer a modelling scale that accomodates aging eyes, so to realize a bigger scale would mean i. e. to reduce the purpose of this spherical housings from a family home to an (armoured) one-person-outpost ... or discard the spherical ones and focus on the kinda technical housing, which is mainly aligned vertically with some horizontal platform(s)/components ...

Cheers,
Gerald (giving his Hydrocal and concrete colours a try, intending to show some results tomorrow) ...

BTW: As there is a prototype for almost everything, imagin THIS (don't laugh)  ;) on a pole (with a cograil) ... and the spherical housing is almost done ...  ;D ;D ;D