• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Industria Mechanika / Kallamity 1/35 Kastor [Done!]

Started by FichtenFoo, April 10, 2012, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FichtenFoo

Been working on building/painting my initial sample of the upcoming Industria Mechanika/Kallamity 1/35 Scale Kastor Hovertank. This is the preproduction sample, but the production release should be shipping in a few weeks and there's still a few up for preorder.

So far it's gone together very smoothly and is pretty cool when put together. While I won't be lighting it, the interior is hollow allowing for the possibility of lighting it. It comes with a large sheet of photoetch details and graphics as does most of Kallamity's releases.

I'm doing multiple layers of the hairspray technique for rust and a blue undercoat. The final kit will be Khaki Drab, but these first two chippings will give the impression that it was painted over an older blue job and add some nice pop-out color to the drab scheme. More pics and info here: http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/kastor/

Chicks dig giant robots.

JESTER

Nice! I'm torn between this and the Orb ship!

-

JohnTolcher

Hi FF, this is a very cool looking machine!
Cheers
John in Australia

artizen

I am looking at this as a basis for a bash into a diesevil for my 1:24 layout. Do you have a photo with a reference to physical size?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

FichtenFoo

Thanks guys!

artizen: It's approx 8 in. long and 3.5 in. tall.

Over the blue and chips I applied another satin coat of FFA, then more hairspray. Over the hairspray I sprayed on several layers of khakis and drabs and then masked and painted the stripes. Once done I immediately set to chipping with a stiff wet brush.

The resulting chips are not only rust toned, but blues and brighter greens chips appear giving the craft a much more worn and reused appearance.

Once that was done I gloss-coated it all with Future (FFA) and then applied decals. The kit does not come with decals, but I have LOTS of spares (as most of us do) from aircraft, tanks, gundams, etc... Once the decals were done I applied a flat coat. Next I'll hand-paint the mall details, add more chips via a sponge to the delicate parts such as the PE hooks, then start weathering!

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/kastor/

Chicks dig giant robots.

artizen

Cool - it's actually big enough for my new 1:12 plank! I can see a twisted tram being built from this!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Wesleybeks

Very Very Nice Michael. I look forward to more.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

FichtenFoo

Thanks guys! Here's the latest on the Kastor's weathering. Using Mig Productions 502 Abteilung oils and AK-Interactives weatehring products.

All the steps are light and cumulative so between each one it doesn't look like much of a difference... but if you look at the before and after as seen below, you can see how these steps add a lot of depth and visual interest to the model. Next up... Dust Effects.

Chicks dig giant robots.

FichtenFoo

The Kallamity/Industria Mechanika Kastor is komplete! Check out the final build-up pics here:

Chicks dig giant robots.

marc_reusser

Sweet! Thanks for posting. Nice weathering effects, and neat overall scene. Really like the concrete groundwork.....how did you create that?
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

FichtenFoo

Thanks Marc!

I used a lot of your ideas for the groundwork. For the tarmac, I mixed some fine talus (light, cinder and brown) with plaster and poured it onto the plywood base. I smoothed it flat (it's about 2-3mm thick) then when starting to set-up carved the lines in, dug out the pothole. I stained it with Higgins black india ink thinned with water, then further stained it with some AK stuff... not sure which, but it too was pretty thinned. I used their OIF wash to darken the lines after a pigment dusting then further enhanced the wet look with the same stuff airbrushed on.

For the large concrete/rebar rubble... same plaster/talus mixture and weathering with steel floral wire twisted into it while wet. Then I crumbled it, broke it, etc... I used the smaller bits that broke off mixed with fine plaster crumbles, talus, raw plaster etc... to do the other rubble. I poured it on then fixed it first with the AK Rubble fixer... that would work great if it didn't have to travel via post to the UK. (going to Ian McQue) It holds it, but not as well as prepped Matte Medium which I applied after to add more support. The fine raw plaster and smaller debris helps cement it together as well.
Chicks dig giant robots.