• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A Filthy Gondol

Started by Erkut Baykal, May 26, 2012, 06:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erkut Baykal

I've been doing some weathering on some of the spoils of Dortmund; boxcars, loco's etc in my spare time.

There was this one incident that I captured photo's of a rake of gondols from the train while travelling  from Dortmund. They were perfect examples of how an aged gondol would look like. The photos were taken while the train was in motion so excuse the blurriness.

...and my version on a 1:87 Roco Gondol;

Erkut

Mobilgas

Erkut,    Look's good.....the flaking of the rust i like :)
Craig

Chuck Doan

Those are interesting prototypes too. Nice!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

chester

Erkut, wonderful weathering but I can't help but notice the lack of bulges and denting as are seen in the prototype. Is anyone out there proficient in creating dents in plastic. I have tried with the soldering iron and a piece of brass shim but my efforts aren't completely satisfactory. I suppose I should ask the question in "tips and techniques" so I don't hijack this thread. Otherwise a great job Erkut.

jacq01

I second Chester. When I have access to my stuff, I'll show some techniques.

jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Ray Dunakin

I wondered about the dents too, and am curious to see how they can be replicated realistically. Like Chester, I've tried heating and deforming on similar items with less than satisfactory results.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

chester

I've tried cutting out the plastic panels (on a dump trailer) and replacing them with thin brass sheet that shows wonderful scale denting but really, I might as well have started by scratch building the whole model. Never finished it. (I've been inspired by all of Marc R's work in every way)

Erkut Baykal

Thanks guys,

I'd really like to know about the denting techniques, so please lead the way.

I thought about going thru the solder iron way but chickened out. I've seen very bad examples of this method, probably thats what put me off.

Another thing that comes to my mind is the same method I used in making the flaking rust but on a much more larger scale.The flakes were done by mixing the appropriate powders with PVA glue with a touch of water.You have a muddy mixture. Then applied to the body with a bristle brush.

Using silicone? ..I'm not sure that came to my mind also. Anyway await to hear your methods.

Erkut