• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Help needed to escape modelling inspiration slump

Started by Wesleybeks, November 09, 2012, 04:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Quote from: shropshire lad on November 09, 2012, 03:42:07 PM
Quote from: mabloodhound on November 09, 2012, 02:12:55 PM
Do something, just don't do what Mario just did and up and quit!   He even deleted his website and all the great photos on it.

I just checked his website and you are right . Do you know any more of why he has done this ? It wasn't something we said was it ?

Hopefully he'll change his mind and bring it all back ,

Nick

Nick -- see here:  http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38223

Mario -- good luck, have fun, we'll see ya on the way back 'round ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Do something, just don't do what Mario just did and up and quit!   He even deleted his website and all the great photos on it.

Dang, there was a lot of good, inspiring modeling displayed in those photos. I had his site bookmarked for future reference.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

TRAINS1941

Quote from: shropshire lad on November 09, 2012, 03:42:07 PM
Do something, just don't do what Mario just did and up and quit!   He even deleted his website and all the great photos on it.

I just checked his website and you are right . Do you know any more of why he has done this ? It wasn't something we said was it ?

Hopefully he'll change his mind and bring it all back ,

Nick

He made a statement on RR-Line.  But it doesn't really say why.

And if you go on Tuesday's Crew Lounge under Voting Day Breakfast!!!  Someone made a comment and Mario gave a rebuttal!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just a shame that he closed down the site.  It was such a reference to so many people.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Wessley, truly understand where you are coming from...no easy solution....it will resolve in time.  FWIW....don't think or stress about starting and completing a project...especially a larger one....when you do feel the need or urge to sit at the bench, just feel free and comfortable to puttter....even if just rearanging everything for the umpteenth time.....try building small things....little detail parts, a wheelbarrow, a pipe rack, a tricycle...whatever...just whatever strikes your interest, and will be a mentally fun and relaxing project...something that you maybe can try some new techniques or skills on...and something you can easily finish in a few days or a week.....and if you don't, its no big deal, no big cost...and no big abandoned build. ...hell maybe just take some stuff from the scrap box and have fun practicing some painting or weathering approaches that you want to learn or are curious about.....even if it is as simple as chipped paint effects on a few boards.

I have found that doing a simultaneous small project offline, via email, with another modeler that you respect, can be hugely inspiring, and motivating....you both build the same item (nothing big)...and you do so to learn from and challenge one another....no winners or better than....just mad improvement of skills and techniques....and because it is offline, and only the two of you, you can share, critique and discuss tiny progress steps and photos on a daily basis...think of it as if you were both sitting at the same table, having fun, and just shooting the breeze about the build and techniques......by being offline, there is no pressure to producce and complete big steps to show progress pics for discussion or feedback.....this way you can get it on the slightest step or test piece.

I do hope this will pass for you, and look forward to seeing your work here again when you feel back in the mood....and remember...we here are all equally interested in minute steps and small builds, if you feel like posting....that's one of the reasons/intent of the Bits Piecces and Clutter thread in the Dioramas section.

OFF TOPIC:

Good for Mario rebutting. That's one of the reasons I left RRL as well.....also to much bullshit and attaboys, not enough quality modeling and critiques.

Mario I wish you the best on your new journey.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

1-32

to me it is all about seeing something and really wanting it in miniture.there is stuff everywhere .possesing it just like voodo
kind regards kim

Gordon Ferguson

Wesley, just catching up .

think we all hit that particular wall from time to time, however it helps if you can identify what the real issue is ...... are you just lacking inspiration to model or is it you can't find something origonal to model

Its the "origonal" bit that usual hits me ................ never really understood those guys who make 53 spitfires, or 17 tiger tanks .

I usually find that using Google image and just typing a few subjects that i have a general interest in helps. You may find a image which interests you slightly, follow it back to the origonal site and see what else is there .... it is truly amazing what you can find when you start following a trail.

As an example I was looking for some info/pics of 1950 American light trucks and came across a picture which lead me to discover this guy

http://members.fotki.com/TheNewcityFamily/about/

Have a look at his albums, Ford Model T's , early racers, salt lake speedsters  .... I will make a model of one of those based on a WW2 droptank , Ford AA trucks, etc, etc

Failing all that take a walk around the neighbourhood, I'll bet you will see something which would make a neat little project for a week .......... as others have said keep it very simple and small

These were 2 little learning projects ,which each took only a couple of hours but taught me a lot  ( of what and what not to do !)

They are both 1/35 so very small ... but small = progress and that is satisfying and rewarding.

Hope inspiration strikes soon  :)
Gordon

David Emery

When I'm in a slump, looking at great model railroads doesn't really help, because they make me feel inadequate.  The primary cause of the slump is usually when I'm not getting the results I want with the effort I can afford to use.

When the urge starts to return, I usually dig out a good kit, usually a resin car kit, that I can assemble in a couple of hours.  That gives me the sense of accomplishment that I'm missing. 

dave

eTraxx

This little scene has all kinds of possibilities

Shorpy - Mobilized: 1917
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Wesleybeks

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the awesome links, pictures and great ideas. Gordon I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm full of inspiration, its the lack of something original that has been getting me down.

I'm going to spend sometime this week going through the links here as well as Shorpy and Flickr and I'm sure something will catch my eye. Look at things with a fresh perspective is definately going to help.

Thanks again everyone.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

Lawton Maner

When I hit a slump, I look for something which will challenge my skills.  Since not all of my projects are models, some are 1:1 pieces of furniture, I look for a component of the piece which will force me to do something I've never done before.  The project doesn't have to be difficult, just have a new technique in it.

I have a 36" diameter drop leaf table in my hall which is a good example.  I had never cut a wooden hinge before, never done a mortise and tenon joint at a 45 degree angle and never done a rule joint (the cove and bead where the drop leaf meets the table top).  By the time I was finished I had added 3 new skills to my kit. 

After the NMRA meet in Suffolk, Va last month I am going to teach myself vacuum injection moulding in order to be able to produce my own parts which I hope eventually will be as good as some I can buy.  Once I get started, I will post a picture of the new toy I'll have to buy on "How I spent my allowance".  My Snap-On dealer will deliver to me a 5cfm vacuum pump on the first of December. ;D  I figure I will need about 500 pairs of joint bars so they will be first. 

The Gallows Turntable published in the Narrow Gauge Gazette in the late 1980's is another example.  It has been on my bench for over 4 years now as I build each phase of it in my mind before actually doing it.  Thinking through the spider ring took me over a decade of thought before I started rolling the parts.  As soon as I treat it with bras blackening solution, I'll post a picture if I can figure out how to use my wife's digital camera and then get the image onto my computer.