• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Cement mixers

Started by Barney, June 11, 2012, 09:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Can any one help -I am after information / what things do / what sort of engine powerd them /plans / measurements on these large cement mixers - the type which seem popular over the water in the USA I once spotted one on these machines in England in a scrap yard but I'm not sure whether they were popular here - Gordon Birrells Fotki albums has some lovely photos taken somewhere I presume in the desert ( or it could be in someones back yard ! )but I can not seem to find any other information on these machines.
Barney

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

The ones i have seen use a small (drive) pinion/sprocket to run the larger ring which surrounds the barrel/drum
I have seen electric motors on most, or some small gas engines.
-Marty

Scratchman

Here's five photos of the two mixers at the Tonopah Historic Mining Park in Tonopah Nevada. 

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

mabloodhound

If you do a Google search and click the images tab you'll get hundreds of photos of "old cement mixers".   Also Google Knickerbocker Co. as they were one of the early manufacturers.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

fspg2

Here You can see a picture and a drawing of the world's first mixer with gimbals of the mixing drum (PEKAZETT company)
Frithjof

chester

This small one resides on the side of hwy 90 in Warren, Maine.

And I found this somewhere on the web.

chester

A rail batch wagon

Barney

Many thanks to you all for the Photos and information I now have a better idea about these machines - Chester the photo of the one at Warren Maine
is ideal any Ideas on the size / measurement of a wheel or the drum so that I can work some sort of drawing out - I hope to build one in 1/16th scale (yet another project for the future) but at the moment I am banned from all new projects until the "the truck" is completed the deadline being September !!
Once again thanks again for the information.
Barney 

chester

Stuart, I don't have any measurements, sorry. but I do have quite a few photos of all views. PM me your email and I will send them to you. I should ask you do it soon however since I will be away from my computer for much of the summer starting Thurs. night.

Krusty

As well as the mixer, you need suitably garbed and drugged operators. Operating instructions from 1917:
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Barney

This is just amazing how many photos of cement mixers keep poping up. Or is it there are more "total nuters" out there taking photos of all this type of junk and rust that we just thrive on for inspirations - still I am used to the funny looks when taking photos "of pure inspirations" Thanks again to all for the information - its all filed away now under future projects !!
Barney

james_coldicott

Hi Stuart,

a couple more from Old Rhinebeck airfield...

James

Scratchman

I found this mixer on my road trip last weekend.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/