• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hello from Switzerland

Started by Peter_T1958, October 28, 2012, 01:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_T1958

Hello, I've been lurking in the background for quite some time now and finally decided to join. Even though I'm not a railroad modeller I am visiting this forum daily as it is in my opinion far and away the best place for modeling regardless of the subject.

A quick background on myself. I am 54 years old, living in Switzerland and I come from the world of WWI military modelling.

Now I've started a new (civilian) project and hope, that I can share plenty of innovative ideas that will helped me in realize it.

Here my project:
These are two pictures of an "steel cable power transmission" located between 1864 and 1900 in my hometown. I think this uncommen subject could become an interesting diorama.

Regards,
Peter T.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Ray Dunakin

Welcome aboard, Peter!

Interesting project. I'm guessing this worked the same way the belt and pulley system used inside mills and machine shops, but with steel cables instead of belts?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

Welcome Peter . Where is your hometown ? There are a few people from and in Switzerland that hang around here and might be familiar with your project .

What scale is this "project" going to be in ? I believe 1/16th scale is very popular at the moment and there are a few people who are more engineers than modellers here who can probably help .

I look forward to seeing how you progress .

Nick

granitechops

Welcome to the forum Peter
looks interesting
is that the two ends of the same installation
but that would not be so the water would be wrong for that
or views at different time periods
or partially dismanteled?
Transmission of power?
cant see any winch for just pulling power

In the top pic, the two big wheels/ pulleys are going in opposite directions judging by the gear work between them
any more pictures?
Don in sunny Devon, England

Peter_T1958

Hi gents

Thanks a lot for your answers and questions. I will open a new post in the category "Modellers At Work" and hope I can give you there more informations on the subject!

Regards, Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

marc_reusser

Peter,

Gruezi!

Wecome to the forum. Great to have you here....with your approach to building a model, and craftsmanship,(and your use of fine alcohol as a modeling reward) you should fit right in here. ;D

Looks like a fascinating project, and really look to learning more about it, and to seeing how you go about building it.

For those interested in a look at seeing one of Peters, in progress builds, have a look at his "Roden: Siemens-Schuckert D.III" on the Great Air Wars forum
http://www.greatwaraviation.com/forum/index.php/topic,859.0.html

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that aircraft model is quite impressive! Amazing attention to detail.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World