• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Farier shop.

Started by 5thwheel, October 19, 2012, 12:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thwheel

Below is a little test corner for a larger project.  This is in 1/12th scale.  Click photo to enlarge.

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

lab-dad

Hard to tell they are models in these shots! Very impressive! The B&W really makes them look "period"
Is the anvil purchased or built?
I will need one for my 1/16 machine shop and have been contemplating "how" to build it.

-Marty

5thwheel

Marty,

Every thing yu see in the pictures is scratch built.  I did use the end of a trailor hub cap cut down for the body of the forge. The legs are hobby brass tube. The anvil is wood as is the blower on the forge.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

TRAINS1941

That is some very impressive work.  Very realistic.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Malachi Constant

Three things come to mind immediately:
1)  If we all model in black & white, we'd cut down on paint costs.  ;D
2)  That stuff looks great!
3)  The larger scale is allowing you to do a beautiful job with fine textures.

Great stuff!  Look forward to more ...

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

5thwheel

Another study vignette in B&W and the final product, Just for Dallas, in color. On allof these the coals in the forge glowed.  One one i produced I also had a glowing horse shoe on the anvil.

...  click to enlarge
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

finescalerr

Not bad. The dust is out of scale. -- ssuR

fspg2

Bill,
Wonderful, it´s looking great!
Frithjof

SandiaPaul

Gee and I thought the B&W ones looked great, then I saw the color one!

Great work. One question, what is the purpose of the tar like stuff on the horizontal boards between the wall studs?

Paul
Paul

5thwheel

Quote from: SandiaPaul on October 20, 2012, 04:00:17 AM
Gee and I thought the B&W ones looked great, then I saw the color one!

Great work. One question, what is the purpose of the tar like stuff on the horizontal boards between the wall studs?

Paul

Russ,  I am not able to find scale dust around here. Where do you get it? ;D

Paul, it is a poor attempt to replicate the black soot and dust combination that had settled on them in the real shop.  The model looks better in real life the potographer (me  ;D) did it no justice.  I was trying to recreate this part of a paddock a woman sent me pictures of.  It was actually an old barn with the forge in one corner, no vent except the window.  Soot, from the forge, along with lots of dirt and dust had settled on most everything. I used India ink mixed with fine sawdust and elmers glue then sprinkled blackened dust over all before the gue dried. These were done in 1979 when I was just starting to age things. There were no such things like bottled dirt, dust, rust and goop on the market then.  We had to make our own from scratch and lots of failures.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.