• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Modelling concrete using extruded foam......

Started by John_Passaro, January 27, 2013, 07:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Passaro

I'm building a concrete bridge, a big one, with arches I'm making out of extruded foam.

I know this subject of modelling convincing-looking concrete using blue or pink extruded foam (Formular) has to have been covered in this forum somewhere, and probably at great length, but I am not finding it.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

John Passaro
Denver, Colorado

marc_reusser

There were a couple of tutorials/SBS on working with it.....but dont thinkso much for concrete slab, as for masonry walls. I will see if I can find them.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here is my thread on experimenting with the foam.

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=404.0

If you read through it you will find links to Don Railton's origianl SBS and some of his methods & projects, as well as some other links.

Per Olav Lund has also used this technique doe masonry and concrete, and Gordon Ferguson has used the foam to create wonderful drystack stone walls (there is a thread here somewhere for Gordon's piece).

marc

M-Works

eTraxx

Yep. Followed Don Railton method via. Marc and had (IMO) pretty good results making brick walls in 1:24

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

John_Passaro

Thank you, thank you!
I'll post my results; I'll be starting the "concrete" work soon I hope because I almost have the structure complete.
p.s. if that brick is made out of foam, I'm going to be really impressed. There's some guys on this forum who are really scary they're so good.
John Passaro
Denver, Colorado

John_Passaro

Quote from: marc_reusser on January 28, 2013, 04:19:48 PM
Here is my thread on experimenting with the foam.
http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=404.0
If you read through it you will find links to Don Railton's origianl SBS and some of his methods & projects, as well as some other links.

Hi...I looked through all this and found some terrific material on bricks and brick walls, and even some cinderblock in your wall insert, but, as instructive and wonderful as the brick tutorials and projects were, I didn't find anything on concrete. Did I miss something?

Thanks.
John Passaro
Denver, Colorado

marc_reusser

John,

As noted in my post...not likelty anything on concrete...more on walls.

.....but, the same principle as used to make bricks and masonry can be applied to making concrete....or, what specific apect of using the foam to represent concrete are you curious/concerned about....I am sure we can try and give you some direction/help.

M-Works