• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Making holes in plastic tanks to simulate ammo hits

Started by Dave and Tammy Aarons, March 07, 2013, 10:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave and Tammy Aarons

Hello all, Can anyone tell us how to make ammo round holes in plastic tank models and also rounds that hit but didn't penetrate ?

Thanks in advance

Dave and Tammy Aarons

working on a Tamiya Panther that will shot up and disabled.
We pray for everyone to be blessed in their endeavors.

finescalerr

Please post your progress. To paraphrase one of our resident fantasy luminary, "Chicks dig giant tanks!" -- Russ

marc_reusser

I haven't done it myself, but have read several articles. Adam Wilder had a real good SBS somewhere as did Mig Jimenez Imay even be in the original FAQ book.The process can be done a couple of ways for both......but the best resilts come from using a pointed soldering iron...some shaping,...softening, etc. Give me a day or so, and I will see if I can find any of the aticles/links.

You could also post/ask on the AK-nteractive, and MIG forums (not discouraging you from asking here....Just in case you wanted faster and multiple opinions. Jon Y Rick here in the forum, probably can give good pointers as well, if they see this post)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Dave,

Sent you an email with a PDF.

...and yes, as russ notes, please post your progress.

There is an article by Fernando Gonzalez, on shell impacts, in the Panzer Aces magazine #34

http://www.euromodelismo.com/panzeraces/panzer34.html

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

eTraxx

Some impacts on this model
http://www.knminis.com/2012/06/kv-8-flamethrower-tank.html

This tank has been hit numerous times with something. It gouges the metal much like a hot rod into butter. It will often create a ridge around the impact area

Hit on a T-62 by an AP shell. Notice the first hit to the left that didn't penetrate (probably HEAT)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Dave and Tammy Aarons

Thanks for info so far.Here is the base Panther so far.
We pray for everyone to be blessed in their endeavors.

JohnTolcher

Hi Dave and Tammy, Ed posted some great ref photos. I tried to do this on a KV-2 build a while back:

A pyrograph or solder would have been good but for this I just used a bullet head nail too. I held it in some pliers and heated the end over a flame then carefully pushed against the plastic. It naturally forms the ridges and deformations as it penetrates, but as always it's good to practice on some scrap plastic first.

I think I recall that wispy strands of plastic sometimes formed, these were just cut off as some impacts were worked a little with a sharp blade.

Cheers
JT
Cheers
John in Australia