• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Learning the Family Trade

Started by NORCALLOGGER, March 31, 2013, 10:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all,

Here is another Steam sawmill video for you.

I have posted a couple here in the past but they didn't seem to
generate much interest, maybe this one will.

Sarah has decided to learn the family business and has worked at all the lessor jobs in the mill but is now ready to learn one of the finer crafts in the saw milling trade.  Setter, the job of setting the saw carriage to the correct position to cut the thickness of board needed.  Her Dad Greg helps her with the set machinery and her Grandfather Gary, is the Sawyer who calls for the cut thickness and runs the saw carriage back and forth.  Sarah is the 7th generation of this family to learn the business and operate this mill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj_avrB-0nE&feature=youtu.be

Ray Dunakin

That was very interesting, and cool!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Days like that .. Sarah doesn't have to worry about having to go to the gym! I always find it amazing - the complexity of the equipment from that era .. everything having to be geared and belt driven
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"