• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo etching service for hobbyists?

Started by Ray Dunakin, March 31, 2013, 04:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Can anyone here recommend a place that will do small, one-off custom photoetching? I'm considering having a miniature sign done in brass, but I really don't want to get into trying to do it myself.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

I looked a couple of years ago, but most places seemed to be interested only in large quantities with a hefty set up fee.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hauk

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on March 31, 2013, 04:38:13 PM
Can anyone here recommend a place that will do small, one-off custom photoetching? I'm considering having a miniature sign done in brass, but I really don't want to get into trying to do it myself.

I could reccomend several English companies that does etching, but for smaller projects I would reccomend a company called PPD: 
http://www.ppdltd.com/

They have no minimum size. If you have a stamp-size project, they will do it.

For an  A4 (a bit bigger than letter-size)  0,4 mm sheet of brass you will have to spend £ 17 (USD$ 27) for the Photo-tool and £ 14 (USD$ 22) pr. sheet. They quote £6 (USD 9,4) for postage, but that will probable be more outside the UK. You have to add your local sales tax to that if you are outside the EU. Inside EU, you will have to add the British sales tax. ( 15% at time of writing).

Even if you are not living anywhere near the British Isles, you should check them out.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past