• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

In-ko-pah Railroad - Another new building

Started by Ray Dunakin, March 05, 2013, 11:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Gordon Ferguson

Ray,

That's very, very impressive ..... A series of simple well thought out steps producing an outstanding result
Gordon

Hydrostat

That came out great, Ray. Which experience did you make with bleaching of the colors by the sun as it is outside all day?

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Ray Dunakin

Thanks!

Volker, I use exterior grade latex paints, as well as some acrylic craft paints that have proven to be fairly tough outdoors. In addition I also spray on a coat of Krylon UV-Resistant matte clear, which helps a lot.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Very cool. Thanks for the SBS.

The only question I would have is re. the grout lines;  rather than being lighter, I would think that they hold the paint more than the surface of the stones, so they would be the same coloring...or more opaque than the stone surface (depending on the age of the sign).....but I don't have any ref material to compare it to.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 05, 2013, 04:45:49 PM
The only question I would have is re. the grout lines;  rather than being lighter, I would think that they hold the paint more than the surface of the stones, so they would be the same coloring...or more opaque than the stone surface (depending on the age of the sign).....but I don't have any ref material to compare it to.

I wondered about that too, and did a lot of research first. Didn't have much luck finding pics of painted signs on stone walls, but lots of signs on brick. Almost all of them showed the paint failing on the mortar first -- i.e., lots of mortar showing through.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Hot Tamales!  That sign is GORGEOUS ... and the drop-shadow lettering really sends it home.  Very well done!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com