• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

What to use

Started by greenie, August 29, 2013, 07:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenie

Hi, got a question/query on what to use.

I need something pliable, about 5 mm O/D and can be bent to a 90 degree angle over about max 5 mm radius with-out deforming the round shape ?
I've thought of rosin core solder, but can't find any with a diameter of 5 mm.

What would be a good product to use, that you could do something like this with it ?

Any and ALL suggestions gratefully received.

regards  greenie 

lab-dad

What about annealed brass rod or even aluminum rod?

That should get you started!
-Marty

marc_reusser

5mm?.....so about 3/16"

Sim to Marty's suggestion, annealed brass tube with a bending tool inside and a form to bend it over.

How accurate/exact do you need it and for what end use.....was thinking, what about the corners of a model kit sprue frame......some have nively radiused corners, and the injection mold makes them stable and on good kits quite evenly round and radiused.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

greenie

Thanks for some good suggestions there fella's, much appreciated.

The ally one is a bug bear, if you try and bend it too tight, no matter how much annealing you give it, it just cracks apart, been there, done that, seen that movie before.
Brass might be the go, I'll try and get hold of some solid at 5mm and see what happens.

The square corners on sprue was a good idea, checked all the kits I got around the place, but couldn't find any sprue that thick.

I'll keep trying to think of something that is easy and pliable, so, any more suggestions, please.

regards  greenie 

David King

Aluminum will work if you have the right alloy, unfortunately the formable alloys are not available in rod (5052 and 6061-T0, not T6) and most of them are hard to get.  The one exception is available in nearly every hobby shop, if you are in the US at least.  K&S .014 wall aluminum tube is 3003 alloy which is very formable, but since it's tube you'll need to do something to keep it from kinking.  It is telescoping so you can put tubes inside each other until it's nearly solid, but it will still deform a bit.

Copper 110 alloy is formable and is available online from Mcmaster:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#copper-rods/=oasgz5

Is there any reason you can't use styrene?  Styrene requires the application of heat but with a little practice you can make it do just about anything. I keep a radiant electric heater under my workbench, (the basement gets quite chilly during the winter!) and when I need to form a piece of styrene I just set it on top of the grill for a minute then it's like putty in my hands.....for about 10-20 seconds.

http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001p?&I=PLSU7228&P=7

I see you are in Australia,  I have no about idea of availablity of these materials outside the US.

David
"It's almost written down as a formula, that when a man begins to think that he has at last found his method, he had better begin a most searching examination of himself to see wether some part of his brain has gone to sleep." - Henry Ford

http://www.dsao.fotki.com/

Design-HSB

Easy to use a piece of copper wire of an electric cable with appropriate diameter.
For this purpose a piece of pre-bend 20 square wire for a car speakers accordingly and tin.
Then straighten and cut to size.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

chester

If a metal rod (ie. brass or copper) is just a bit too small, slide a piece of heat shrink over it to give it more diameter.

greenie

Thank you gentlemen, copper it is, and a bit of heat shrink has done the job nicely.

Found some 3/16th inch which has worked out OK.

regards  greenie