• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Brick structure

Started by AlexG, March 10, 2014, 11:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexG

Marc, thanks for your comment. You're quite right.
That time, was enough easy for me with that kind of mortar. On the other hand, there is a big difference between what you see
with your own eyes - even using a magnifier, and a big photo.
So, I made again some zillions of bricks, made again some brickwork parts and start to make a proper mortar.
I added to my Polistick some powder of old mortar and try again. Few times even, but not content. Someting was wrong.
I have seen some topics here, regarding the brickwork, and I found another method.
I give it a try and here's the result.
Few pics are following.

Comments are more than welcome, helps me to move on in the right way.
Forunately, I know now that "a kick in the ass" is (some times) a big step forward.

Alex

AlexG

The method I used - I spread powder of old mortar and powder of new mortar on the brickwork, carefuly moistened with a mix of water
and white glue. I think some teast must be done again, with the powder spread not only between bricks.

The "concrete" plate is a recovered one, after I removed the bricks. I'll use it, looks good to me.

Alex

finescalerr

An improvement. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Very nice! I also like the coloration of the bricks.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

artizen

I would suggest using a surface sealant on the bricks before using mortar but that does make the bricks go much darker. But if you do that, the mortar no longer stains the bricks. At this scale, I would be exploring the methods Diorama Debris suggest on their website.

I do like the knocked-about look of the bricks - extremely realistic. The more ideas you try, the better the result will be.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia